Tom is an M&A partner based in our Sydney office whose practice is focused on private equity and infrastructure transactions. In Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012 Guide, Tom was described as 'commercial, practical, a creative thinker and very personable.' Tom has been recognised as a market leading practitioner in recent publications including Asia Pacific Legal 500 2012, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2012 Guide, PLC Which Lawyer? 2012 and Best Lawyers 2012.
Tom has acted on a number of significant and complex transactions in the Australian market in recent years. Clients that Tom has advised on recent M&A and private equity transactions include:
- Archer Capital and HarbourVest on their $1.2 billion sale of MYOB to Bain Capital (2011);
- the consortium comprising Charter Hall Group, an affiliate of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board of Canada on its $1.8 billion acquisition of the Charter Hall Office REIT (2012);
- Archer Capital on its A$230 million acquisition of the Healthe Care private hospitals business (2011);
- West Australian Newspapers on its A$4.1 billion acquisition of Seven Media Group and associated capital raisings (2011);
- the QPH consortium (led by Global Infrastructure Partners, Industry Funds Management and QIC Global Infrastructure) on its A$2.3 billion acquisition of the Port of Brisbane (2010);
- Charter Hall Group on its acquisition of Macquarie Group's core real estate management platform and associated A$220 million capital raising (2010);
- Lend Lease Group on its A$192 million acquisition of the remaining securities in Lend Lease Primelife Group (2009);
- Archer Capital and HarbourVest on their successful A$405 million public-to-private acquisition of MYOB (2008/9); and
- Lend Lease Corporation on its acquisition of management rights to, and a 43 per cent shareholding in, Babcock & Brown Communities for a total cash outlay of A$237 million (2008).
Tom is a member of the NSW Law Society and an associate of the Financial Services Institute of Australia. He lectures in private equity law and regulation to postgraduate students at the University of Sydney.