Guy is the National Co-Head of Allens' M&A and Equity Capital Markets practice. Guy has been a member of the Takeovers Panel (the body established under Australian corporations and securities law to consider disputes in relation to takeovers of, and other acquisitions or proposed acquisitions of substantial interests in, Australian companies) since 2004, and is also a former Chairman of the Corporations Committee of the Law Council of Australia.
Transactions in which Guy has acted in recent years include:
- West Australian Newspapers, on the A$4.1 billion acquisition of Seven Media Group and associated capital raisings to fund that acquisition;
- Whitehaven Coal Limited, on its strategic review announced in November 2010;
- FerrAus Limited, in responding to the takeover bid by Wah Nam International;
- Conquest Mining, in its successful hostile takeover bid of North Queensland Metals;
- AGL Energy, on its acquisition of Mosaic Oil;
- Sino Gold Limited, on its A$2.8 billion merger with Eldorado Gold;
- ConocoPhillips, on its A$9 billion joint venture with Origin Energy;
- Dairy Farmers, on its sale by scheme of arrangement to National Foods;
- Multiplex Group, on Brookfield Asset Management's US$4.3 billion successful acquisition of Multiplex Limited and the Multiplex Property Trust;
- Brambles, on the unification of its dual listed companies structure and sale of Cleanaway and Brambles Industrial Services divisions;
- News Corporation, on its reorganisation to effect transfer of its incorporation to the US;
- M.I.M. Holdings Limited, in relation to the A$3.4 billion acquisition by Xstrata plc of all of the shares in MIM; and
- Normandy Mining, in responding to the A$5.2 billion takeover offer by Newmont Mining and the rival takeover offer by AngloGold.
Guy is also a co-author of Takeovers and Reconstructions in Australia, one of the leading Australian M&A texts.
Areas of Expertise
- Client Update - 20 March 2013
- Client Update - 18 October 2012