Richard practices principally in the area of mergers and acquisitions, particularly public company takeovers and schemes of arrangement. He also advises on restructuring of listed companies, business and share acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and initial public offerings. Richard was named as one of Australia's leading Corporate/M&A lawyers by Chambers Global 2015.
Recent transactions on which Richard has advised include:
- Kina Securities' acquisition of Maybank PNG and float on ASX and POMSOX;
- JUST EAT's acquisition of Menulog;
- JBS' acquisition of leading Australian smallgoods manufacturer Primo Foods;
- Rio Tinto's acquisition of Coal & Allied Industries;
- Telecom New Zealand's demerger of Chorus;
- Newcrest's merger with Lihir Gold; and
- Rio Tinto's defence of the takeover proposal from BHP Billiton, the proposed strategic alliance with Chinalco, the joint venture with Chinalco for development of the Simandou deposit, and the strategic review of Pacific Aluminium.
He has also advised:
- ROC Oil Company's concurrent schemes and takeover bids for Anzon Energy and Anzon Australia;
- CEMEX on its bid for Rinker;
- Wesfarmers on its scheme of arrangement with Coles;
- destra Corporation on its scheme with Magna Pacific;
- Independent News & Media on the proposed scheme with Australian Provincial Newspapers;
- Quadra Mining on its bid for Equatorial Mining;
- Kingsgate Consolidated on its bid for Andean Resources;
- Patrick Corporation on defence of the bid by Toll Holdings;
- Rio Tinto on the sale of its holding in Lihir Gold and the restructuring of Energy Resources of Australia;
- Henry Walker Eltin on the proposed recapitalisation by Glencore; and
- Virgin Blue on the defence of the bid by Patrick Corporation.
Richard is a member of the Corporations Committee of the Law Council of Australia.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Focus - 9 November 2015
- Client Update - 13 March 2015
- Media - 2 March 2015