Steve practices in the areas of resources, energy, infrastructure and major projects. His areas of expertise include:
- resources, energy and infrastructure development projects, and their financing; and
- establishment of joint ventures, acquisitions and other major corporate transactions, particularly in the resources, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Steve has previously spent several years practising in each of the firm's Singapore and Hong Kong offices, where he acted on a range of projects and financing transactions in South East Asia and Greater China. He continues to be active in many projects and transactions in Asia.
Steve's recent deals include:
- advising Rio Tinto in relation to its joint venture with Chinalco for the initial US$2 billion development of the Simandou project in Guinea;
- acting for Total in relation to its investment in the US$16 billion two train GLNG project in Queensland;
- advising Port Waratah Coal Services on the new funding facilities for its proposed A$5 billion expansion to port facilities in Newcastle;
- acting for the lead sponsor on the proposed development of a world-class aluminium smelter in Sarawak, Malaysia;
- advised a joint venture of international energy companies on their proposed participation in a hydrogen energy and carbon sequestration project in the United Arab Emirates; and
- acting for Rio Tinto on its proposed Pilbara iron ore joint venture with BHPB Billiton and, before that, its proposed strategic partnership wtih its major shareholder Chinalco.
Steve is also one of the firm's team of experts on the reforms to security law introduced in Australia by the Personal Property Securities Act 2009, and has provided advice to companies and lenders on the impact of the Act on their projects, particularly in relation to consortium structures and their financing. He is the author of a chapter on Importing, Exporting and Transnational Property in the LexixNexis Publication 'Personal Property Securities in Australia'.
Steve is admitted to practice in Hong Kong and England as well as Australia.
Areas of Expertise