Tom is a market leading M&A lawyer and the Co-Head of the Allens' Private Equity practice. He regularly advises many of Australia's largest corporations on their most significant, strategic mergers and acquisitions, notably including advising Wesfarmers on its $20 billion acquisition of Coles Group.
Tom is consistently recognised in both Chambers Asia Pacific and Chambers Global as one of Australia's leading M&A and private equity lawyers. Most recently Chambers Asia Pacific 2016, stated 'Tom attracts extensive praise from both peers and clients as one of the most impressive of Australia's younger corporate practitioners, with sources describing him as a "very commercially focused source of confident advice." '
Tom's recent experience includes:
- Pacific Equity Partners – advised PEP on its $307 million public-to-private acquisition of ASX-listed Patties Foods by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Asciano Limited – advised the consortium led by GIP and CPPIB on the acquisition of Asciano Limited for cash consideration of $9.05 billion by way of a scheme of arrangement. This followed a competitive bidding process, which saw a number of proposals for the company.
- Equifax Inc. – advised Equifax on its $2.5 billion proposal to acquire Veda Group Limited.
- Archer Capital – advised Archer Capital on its $938 million divestment of private hospital business Healthe Care to China's Luye Medical Group.
- HRL Morrison – advised HRL Morrison and its clients CSC and Infratil on their acquisition of Canberra Data Centres from Quadrant Private Equity and CDC founders.
- Zimmermann – advised leading luxury fashion brand ZIMMERMANN on its next phase of growth with a minority investment in the brand from General Atlantic, a global growth equity firm.
- Frasers Centrepoint Limited – advised Frasers Centrepoint on its $2.6 billion off-market takeover of Australand Property Group.
- Wesfarmers Limited – advised Wesfarmers on the sale of its insurance broking businesses to AJ Gallagher for $1.01 billion.
- QIC Global Infrastructure – advised QIC Global Infrastructure on the sale of Queensland Motorways to a consortium involving Transurban, Australian Super and ADIA for $7.1 billion.
- West Australian Newspapers – advised West Australian Newspapers on the $4.1 billion acquisition of Seven Media Group and associated capital raisings.
- Global Infrastructure Partners – advised GIP on the sale of 26.7% stake in the Port of Brisbane to The Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec for more than $1.3 billion.
- Q Port Holdings – advised the consortium comprising Global Infrastructure Partners, Industry Funds Management, QIC Global Infrastructure and ADIA on the $2.3 billion acquisition of the 99 year lease of the Port of Brisbane from the Queensland Government.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 8 May 2017
- 3 April 2017
- Media - 9 March 2017
- Media - 3 February 2017
- Media - 14 October 2016