Guy is widely recognised as one of the leading M&A lawyers in Australia and he is the National Co-Head of Allens' M&A and Equity Capital Markets practice.
Guy specialises in major, complex public M&A and has advised on many of Australia's largest and most significant M&A deals. In 2015/2016 Guy advised on over $25 billion worth of deals, notably including the $9.05 billion acquisition of Asciano and Oil Search's $11.6 billion defence to Woodside's takeover proposal.
For some time, Guy has been recognised as one of a select group of Band 1 Australian M&A lawyers in both Chambers Asia Pacific and Chambers Global. Clients regard him as a 'practitioner with skills applicable to "virtually any potential M&A transaction in Australia" ' (Chambers Global 2016). He is also ranked as a leading M&A lawyer in Asia Pacific Legal 500, Who's Who Legal 100 and Best Lawyers and was a member of the Australian Takeovers Panel for almost ten years to 2013.
Transactions in which Guy has acted on in recent years include:
- Asciano Limited – advising the consortium purchaser on the acquisition of Asciano Limited for cash consideration of $9.05 billion by way of a scheme of arrangement. This followed a competitive bidding process, which saw a number of proposals for the company.
- Recall – on its response to the proposals from Iron Mountain Incorporated valuing Recall at approximately $2.67 billion.
- Oil Search – defence of the $11.6 billion takeover approach by Woodside Petroleum and capital raising to fund the acquisition of its interest in the Elk/Antelope project.
- Ferrovial – advised Spain's Ferrovial on its $813 million acquisition of Broadspectrum (formerly Transfield Services).
- APA Group – advised APA on its US$5 billion purchase of the Queensland Curtis LNG pipeline from the BG Group, together with the A$1.8 billion equity capital raising to part fund that acquisition.
- Billabong International – advised Billabong in responding to various change of control proposals from TPG and other private equity funds, and then on the re-capitalisation proposals from the Altamont consortium and Centrebridge/Oaktree consortium, which ultimately led to the stabilization of the Billabong business.
- Talison Lithium – advising Tianqi Group on its C$850 million acquisition by scheme of arrangement of Talison Lithium (part funded by equity from China Investment Corporation), and subsequent joint venture with Rockwood in relation to Talison.
Other major transactions Guy has acted on include:
- ConocoPhillips – advised Conoco on its $9 billion joint venture with Origin Energy, which brought to a close the British Gas bid for Origin.
- Seven West Media – advised Seven West Media on its $4.1 billion acquisition of Seven Media Group from Seven Group Holdings Limited and KKR, and associated CULS capital raising to fund the acquisition.
- Brambles – advised Brambles on all aspects of the unification of its dual-listed companies structure (and listing on the ASX and LSE) and divestment of its Cleanaway and Brambles Industrial Services businesses.
- M.I.M. Holdings Limited – advised M.I.M. on its $3.4 billion scheme of arrangement with Xstrata plc.
- Normandy Mining – advised Normandy in responding to the A$5.2 billion takeover offers by Newmont Mining and AngloGold.
- News Corporation – advised News Corporation on the transfer of its incorporation to the US and listing on NYSE, ASX and LSE.
- Multiplex – advised Multiplex on its response to the A$4.3 billion takeover bid by Brookfield Asset Management.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 10 July 2017
- Media - 10 January 2017
- Media - 31 August 2016
- Media - 26 August 2016