Allens appoints Energy & Resources partner to alliance leadership role
7 September 2012
International law firm Allens has appointed Partner Nic Tolé to lead the firm's Energy & Resources practice across Asia.
The role will also see Mr Tolé taking a senior leadership role in the two Asian joint ventures Allens has established with Linklaters LLP, which includes a pan-Asian practice combining two of the world's leading Energy & Resources practices.
Mr Tolé is a leading energy and resources specialist, with significant experience both in Australia and Asia, advising clients on mergers and acquisitions and major projects.
In his new role, Mr Tolé will relocate to Hong Kong from Perth in October.
Allens and Linklaters have established a pan-Asian joint venture with the strategic focus on energy and resources development, project finance, infrastructure work and mergers and acquisitions regionally, along with an Indonesia-specific joint venture, Widyawan & Partners, concentrating on the highly prospective Indonesian energy and resources market.
The Asian JVs are central to the global alliance announced between the two firms earlier this year.
Mr Tolé said he was excited about the opportunities promised by the Asian JVs and was looking forward to his move to Hong Kong to help spearhead the market push.
'Initial client response to the news of our JVs has been positive,' Mr Tolé said.
'We believe our clients recognise that both firms have leading global practices in the energy and resources sectors – so the combination has been received positively by the market,' he said.
It is expected that a team of up to 30 partners and 60 lawyers from the two firms will be active in the alliance JVs, with most based in Asia.
Mr Tolé said the alliance was already delivering early results, including both Allens and Linklaters jointly advising on:
- an acquisition of Australian power assets – Allens' Melbourne office in conjunction with Linklaters Hong Kong office;
- an acquisition of oil and gas assets in Thailand – Indonesian JV;
- an acquisition of PNG oil and gas assets – Allens' Singapore and Port Moresby offices in conjunction with Linklaters Singapore and New York offices;
- a divestment of Moroccan oil and gas assets – Allens' Perth office in conjunction with Linklaters Lisbon office; and
- the Southdown magnetite mine project in Western Australia – Allens' Perth and Sydney offices in conjunction with Linklaters Beijing and Hong Kong offices.
Allens has recently hired two Perth-based oil and gas partners, Anthony Patten and Tracey Greenaway, along with the Brisbane-based mining partner, Jo Daniels, to help in the significant expansion of the firm's domestic and Asian Energy & Resources practices.
- Jason SilveriiSenior Corporate Affairs Manager,
Ph: +61 3 9613 8014
Notes for editors.
Allens is a commercial law firm working throughout Australia and Asia. Through its integrated alliance with Linklaters it provides clients access to 36 offices in 27 countries around the world.