Allens is the firm of choice for project financiers in Australia. We have played a leading role in nearly all of the major financings in the market in recent years, as well as numerous small and medium-sized financings, and we have acted for the full range of parties to such deals – financiers, borrowers, sponsors, government, advisers and suppliers.
We have also advised on some of the groundbreaking infrastructure and resources projects in the Asian region. The strength of our practice in Asia is bolstered by our network of 10 offices across Asia.
Our team is often praised for its commerciality and thorough understanding of 'bankability' issues. We know how to draft contracts and documents that meet the needs of financiers, and to identify and resolve issues that could potentially delay or break deals. Our clients benefit from our understanding of alternative sources of funding and our ability to work closely with their financial advisers.
Leading innovation and ratings
The market-leading performance of our Project Finance team comes as a result of advising on the most significant transactions in the region, including high profile, award-winning projects such as the:
- Nghi Son Refinery project – Project Finance International's Asia Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2013;
- Ichthys LNG project – the biggest ever project financing and Project Finance International's Asia-Pacific Deal of the Year 2012;
- Australia Pacific LNG Project – Project Finance International's Asia-Pacific Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2012;
- Sydney Desalination Plant – Project Finance International's Asia-Pacific Infrastructure Deal of the Year 2012;
- Royal Adelaide Hospital PPP – one of Australia's largest-ever PPPs, Project Finance International's Asia Pacific PPP Deal of the Year 2011, and APLMA's Syndicated Project Finance Deal of the Year 2011;
- Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal financing – one of Australia's largest greenfields project financings, Project Finance International's Asia Pacific Infrastructure Deal of the Year 2011, and Australian Finance Review's Project Finance Deal of the Year 2012;
- Macarthur Wind Farm Project – the Southern Hemisphere's largest wind farm transaction and Project Finance International renewables industry 'Deal of the year', 2011;
- Vietnam's Muong Duong 2 thermal power plant – Project Finance International's power industry 'Deal of the year', 2011; and
- A$1.55 billion financing of the development of a coal loading and port facility in Newcastle – Project Finance International 'Asia Pacific Infrastructure Deal of the Year', 2008.
Allens was awarded Project Finance International's Global Project Finance Law Firm of the Year 2012 (with Linklaters) and Infrastructure Journal's Leading Law Firm for Asia & Pacific in 2012. On Project Finance International's Roll of Honour, we are the only Australian firm to appear in the global top 10 for our performance over the past decade.