Join the World Legal Summit on technology regulation and governance
The summit is a series of events held around the world, designed to bring jurisdictions together to better understand and compare important issues in technology governance worldwide. If you are interested in attending the event at our Sydney offices on Thursday, 1 August or would like to receive a copy of the final report, please contact Ann Tulip via email or on 07 3334 3185.
This year the event will focus on three common topics:
- Identity and governance - regulation of the construction and use of digital identities, including on blockchain: Many emerging technologies, including decentralized systems like Web 3.0 and blockchain technologies, are contributing to building digital identities. What technologies are being developed and what legal framework is appropriate for dealing with digital identity?
- Autonomous machines - autonomous transportation – changing rules for self-driving cars: Autonomous machines, particularly in the context of transportation, are creating numerous legal challenges. How can legal frameworks be adapted to technologies such as self-driving cars, noting in particular the challenges of federalism?
- Cybersecurity and personal data - legal frameworks to enhance cybersecurity and protect personal information: With increasing data breaches and security standards, demands for data protection and cybersecurity are growing. How can an improved legal framework (both data protection and cybersecurity) and better design reduce risks?
Each location will also engage in an additional topic of local concern in the afternoon. The Sydney topic is 'Regulation for AI applications in the legal profession: With the variety of automated tools in the legal sector now available, do we need new regulation?'.
The outcome of these discussions will be published in a global insights report, which will be a collection of insights from each jurisdiction, along with additional research from the global team. It will explore existing legal frameworks and law reform ideas for emerging technologies around the world, highlighting common themes and regional differences.
If you can't attend the summit in person you can join the conversation via Twitter or LinkedIn through the hashtag #WLS2019.
The schedule for the day is:
- 9:30-10:30am – Panel Discussion One: Identity & Governance: Regulation of the construction and use of digital identities, including on blockchain
- 10:30-11:30am – Panel Discussion Two: Autonomous Machines: Autonomous transportation – changing rules for self-driving cars
- 11:40-12:40pm – Panel Discussion Three: Cyber Security & Personal Data: Legal frameworks to enhance cyber security and protect personal information
- 1.30pm – 3.10pm Regulation for artificial intelligence applications in the legal profession
- 3.10pm – Afternoon tea
If you are interested in attending the event at our Sydney offices on Thursday, 1 August or would like to receive a copy of the final report, please contact Ann Tulip via email or on 07 3334 3185.