Geoff specialises in superannuation, funds management and financial services law, including in investments, retail and wholesale managed fund formation, financial services regulation and superannuation regulation.
Geoff has experience in:
- Assisting superannuation and other institutional investors in relation to their investment-related matters, including extensive experience in relation to infrastructure, private equity and property investments.
- Advising superannuation clients in relation to compliance with the Australian superannuation regulatory regime.
- Advising funds management clients in relation to the licensing, disclosure and compliance requirements of the Australian financial services regime.
- Working with Australian and foreign fund managers to develop, market, launch and operate both retail and wholesale fund products.
Geoff's relevant transactional experience includes advising:
- Hastings Funds Management and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan consortium – $2.3 billion acquisition of the Sydney Desalination Plant.
- AustralianSuper, UniSuper, the Australia Post Superannuation Scheme, Maritime Super and the Rio Tinto Staff Superannuation Fund – investments across a range of asset classes and structures, including in infrastructure, real estate, private equity and equities.
- AustralianSuper, UniSuper and the Rio Tinto Staff Superannuation Fund – significant litigation matters involving investment disputes and member claims.
- State Grid International Development – acquisition of an interest in ElectraNet, owner of South Australia's electricity transmission network.
- Aviva Investors – sale of Australian funds management operations to NAB and the establishment of an Australian logistics real estate fund product.
Geoff also spent almost three years working for Linklaters LLP in London, where he was a senior member of their award-winning funds management team. During this time, Geoff was involved a broad range of funds management deals in both the listed and private fund sectors, including numerous fund formations, listings and reconstructions and funds-management related mergers and acquisitions.
Areas of Expertise
- Funds Management
- Financial Services Regulation
- Head Office & Governance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
Recent News & Publications
- Client Update - 7 March 2019
- 20 December 2018
- Client Update: ASIC extends transition period for fees and costs disclosures, and delays consultation paper to January 2019Client Update - 14 December 2018
- 20 August 2018
- 22 June 2018