Joe is a specialist in income tax, and also has extensive experience advising on stamp duty matters.
He regularly advises on a range of income tax and stamp duty issues associated with corporate mergers, acquisitions and restructures, capital raisings and international tax, particularly for private equity, corporate and funds clients.
Joe also regularly acts for clients in tax disputes and litigation in both the direct and indirect tax areas. Joe's experience includes:
- private equity – advising private equity funds regularly on a range of transactions, including advising Quadrant Private Equity on the acquisitions of Fitness First, Jetts Fitness, Rockpool Group and on the sale of Icon;
- M&A – regularly advising on corporate acquisitions, disposals and restructures, including advising a large multinational client on the sale of a controlling stake in an ASX listed company (including obtaining a favourable private ruling);
- resources – advising resources clients on strategic investments, including advising Glencore on its economic agreement with ASX listed Evolution Mining in connection with Ernest Henry Mine;
- disputes and litigation – advising large multinational resourcing clients on their mining royalty audits and litigation and successfully defending the Commissioner’s appeal in the Full Federal Court in Commissioner of Taxation v Messenger Press Proprietary Limited  FCAFC 77; and
- funds – advising investors and trustees in fund structures, including advising offshore asset managers on structuring of investments in Australia.