Melissa specialises in foreign investment projects, sales and acquisitions and project developments, with particular emphasis on the energy sector and large-scale infrastructure, power and renewables projects and contracts with governments.
Melissa's relevant experience includes advising:
- AGL Energy – on the divestment of its digital metering business, Active Stream; the financing and sale of its 50 per cent interest in the 420MW Macarthur Wind Farm; as well as on a range of regulatory and commercial issues in connection with its retail business, new energy initiatives and operation of its assets.
- Other retailers and metering services providers – on their digital metering arrangements in the ramp up to the power of choice reforms.
- Major energy retailers including ERM Power, Tango (Pacific Hydro) and Lumo (Snowy Hydro) – on their market retail contracts and obligations to customers under the National Energy Retail Rules and the ESC's Energy Retail Code.
- The AEMC and AEMO – on interpretation and application of various provisions in the National Electricity Law.
- Corporate clients – on the terms of their corporate PPAs with renewable energy generators.
- Pacific Hydro – on its project financing for the Portland Wind Farm, including review and negotiation of the offtake arrangements.
- ERM Power – on its bid in the NSW State Government privatization of Macquarie Generation including review of the electricity supply arrangements for the Tomago Aluminium smelter.
- Rio Tinto and Oyu Tolgoi LLC – on the construction of a coal fired power station under an IPP model to support its copper/gold project in Mongolia and the associated long term power purchase agreement.
- a consortium of investors including Engie and Sojitz – on its contracts with the Mongolian government to develop a power plant in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Daewoo International – on a number of its existing and greenfield power plant projects in Papua New Guinea.
- the investors in the Vung Ang II power project (China Light & Power and Mitsubishi Corporation) – on all legal aspects of their investment in a 1200MW greenfield coal-fired power plant in Vietnam including the power purchase agreement between the investors and the Vietnamese Government.
- the sponsors of the Nghi Son Refinery Project (including Idemitsu) – on the US$5 billion ECA led project financing of this US$9 billion Vietnamese project awarded PFI's Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2013.
- Qantas – on its partnership with Vietnam Airlines in Jetstar Pacific.
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia – on its acquisition of a foreign strategic interest in Vietnam International Bank.
- a prominent foreign real estate services company – on its restructure of its Japanese entity following a merger.
- both lenders and borrowers – on financing in a range of high profile acquisitions and projects in Japan.
- Foreign companies – looking to set up businesses and conduct investments in Australia, Japan and Vietnam.
Melissa worked in the firm's Hanoi office from 2008 to 2012 and was seconded to Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu, one of Japan's leading law firms in Tokyo from 2006 to 2008.
Melissa has very strong spoken and written Japanese language skills.Melissa has been trained formally in Legal Project Management. Melissa’s LPM expertise drives efficient legal and business outcomes for her clients.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Client Update - 26 March 2019