Paul has extensive international cross-border experience in many aspects of finance, including corporate, project and ECA finance. Born in Papua New Guinea, Paul divides his time between the Port Moresby and Brisbane offices. Clients say: 'In terms of the PNG environment, he knows his stuff' (Chambers Asia Pacific, 2019).
Paul's PNG experience includes:
- NiuPower – advising the sponsors on the development of a new 60MW gas-fired power station outside Port Moresby.
- China Development Bank – representing CDB in its proposed financing of the Ramu II hydro power project.
- Gilford – advising a syndicate of Asian banks arranged by OCBC in relation to the secured financing of palm oil operations in PNG.
- CEXIM – in relation to its proposed loan to the contractor for the construction of part of the PNG State Power Grid.
- PNG Ports Corporation – representing PNG Ports in the financing of the development of PNG’s major port (Motukea Island).
- Bank of South Pacific – representing the bank in the construction financing of the Star Mountain hotel; in various secured construction facilities to members of the Curtain Brothers Group; and its PGK500m road construction project financing to NCDC.
- ANZ, BSP and WBC – transaction counsel for secured club facilities to the Steamships Group.
- ANZ and WBC – representing the lenders in a syndicated secured financing of the Harbourside Building and club facilities to Mainland Holdings.
- Nambawan Super – BSP ASX listing advice and joint investment with Lamana Developments and IFC in the Rangeview development.
- ANZ PNG – lender's counsel in its multi-currency revolving facility to Coke PNG.
- Westpac PNG – representing the bank in secured facilities to City Pharmacy; multi-option facilities to Bismillah Holdings; refinancing AUD and PGK facilities to the Bishop Brothers Group; and an asset backed foreign currency financing to Harmony Gold.
- Oil Search – advising the lenders on PNG law aspects of US$900m of syndicated and bilateral corporate financings (and related re-financings).
Paul has also represented lenders in more than US$1.3b of export credit related financings across projects in Asia and Africa. Paul is admitted to practice in PNG, Queensland (Australia) and England & Wales.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Linklaters Insights - 12 December 2018