Igor has an excellent reputation as a leading energy and resources specialist. Igor's expertise spans mining and oil and gas law, joint ventures, resources project acquisitions and disposals, State Agreements, project development and restructuring, commodity marketing, and gas and electricity supply and transportation agreements.
Igor is regularly recognised by independent publications, including Chambers Global, Expert Energy Guides and Doyle's Guides as a leading energy and resources lawyer in Australia. Igor is a director of the national Board of the Energy and Resources Law Association (AMPLA) and President of its Victorian Branch. He maintains close industry knowledge and strong relationships with clients, including Rio Tinto, Newcrest and AngloGold, and oil and gas companies such as INPEX and Osaka Gas.
Significant transactions in which Igor has been involved include advising:
- Rio Tinto – on all aspects of its development of the multi-billion dollar Oyu Tolgoi copper project in Mongolia, including in relation to the Government investment agreement, shareholder arrangements, copper concentrate marketing, investment issues and financing and power requirements.
- APA Group – on its $6bn acquisition of the QCLNG Pipeline and the associated long term gas transportation agreements
- Total – on its $650 million acquisition of a 15% interest in the Santos operated GLNG project.
- AngloGold Ashanti – on its $1 billion sale of its interest in the Boddington Gold Mine, and assisting AngloGold Ashanti with the development of the Tropicana Gold Mine in WA.
- Osaka Gas – on its investment in the Crux Liquids Project including the recent significant consolidation transaction unitising the liquids and gas interests in the Project to, among other things, enable a stand alone FLNG project.
- INPEX – on the restructuring of its joint venture and shareholder arrangements for the $34 billion Ichthys LNG Project, and its feed gas supply arrangements for the LNG plant, as well as on various disposals of project interests by INPEX to, among others, Tokyo Gas, Toho Gas and Chubu.
- St Barbara Mines – on its strategic sale of the King of the Hills Mine in 2015.
- Kintyre uranium project – as principal adviser on the A$500 million sale of the Kintyre uranium project in the East Pilbara.
- Iron ore mine – on the establishment of a 20 year joint venture for the construction and operation of a new iron ore mine, and iron ore sales, between Hamersley Iron and Shanghai Baosteel Group, with a total value over 20 years of approximately $7 billion.
- Rio Tinto Procurement – as principal adviser in the tender and reletting of its global long term procurement contracts for the global supply of Heavy Mobile Equipment (HME).
- ASX listed oil and gas producer – on its proposed entry into a Malaysian Risk Sharing Contract (RSC) on a marginal field, including the Government arrangements and local joint venture arrangements.
- Iron ore project – preparing and advising a project in the Northern Territory on its ongoing iron ore off-take agreements.
- Hamersley Iron, AngloGold Ashanti, Osaka Gas, Cue Energy, and others – drafting and negotiating on various aspects of joint venture arrangements, and advising on regulatory matters, for both energy and resources clients. Igor also regularly advises foreign companies on FIRB and their investments in Australia.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 14 December 2017
- Client Update - 20 June 2017
- Client Update - 7 June 2017
- Client Update - 10 May 2017
- Client Update - 8 March 2017