Jillian specialises in planning and environment law, and her practice involves assisting clients in a range of sectors to comply with environmental laws and secure outcomes through approvals processes.
Jillian works primarily in the transport, waste, water, energy, resources, urban development and industrial sectors.
Jillian's recent work has included assisting clients to successfully navigate land access and approvals processes for major infrastructure development projects in Victoria. Jillian also regularly assists government clients with smaller-scale projects and transactions in the waste and water sectors.
On the private sector side, Jillian assists property developers to realise a range of developments by advising on strategic and statutory planning, heritage, EPBC and land contamination remediation matters, including strategic planning processes, the negotiation of registrable agreements, and conducting planning appeals processes.
She also helps clients in a range of other sectors, primarily energy and manufacturing, to address any environmental issues that may arise, as quickly and cost-efficiently as possible. Generally these relate to planning issues, pollution incidents, contaminated land, industrial waste management and biodiversity/native vegetation. Recently, Jillian has assisted a number of clients to deal with contractual disputes and compliance issues arising from regulatory changes relating to PFAS.
Jillian's practice also extends to sustainability and climate change. Recently Jillian has helped clients to comply with emissions reporting legislation, negotiate contractual risk allocation in relation to carbon-related risks, as well as helping clients to manage the physical impact of climate change on infrastructure and planning processes.
Jillian’s relevant experience includes:
- Webb Dock Redevelopment – advising the Port of Melbourne Corporation on land access and approvals issues in connection with the redevelopment of Webb Dock as an international container terminal.
- Melbourne Airport's Runway Development Program – advising Australia Pacific Airports Corporation on land access, environmental impact assessment and environmental approvals issues.
- CarbonNet – advising on the planning and environment approvals required for offshore geosequestration exploration activities as part of the CarbonNet project.
- nbn – representing nbn in relation to planning appeals in respect of the development of new towers as part of the national nbn rollout.
- Port of Hastings – advising the Port of Hastings Development Authority on various regulatory matters, including statutory requirements under the Port Management Act and the Transport Integration Act.
- Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group – advising MWRRG on a range of waste management arrangements, including landfilling, transfer stations, the receival and processing of organic waste, and the potential alternative treatment of residual waste.
- Australian Paper – providing environmental and planning advice on the operation of the Maryvale Paper Mill in Victoria's Latrobe Valley.
- Yarra Valley Water – advising on site selection and land access matters for proposed new infrastructure in Melbourne's northern suburbs.
- Former Lilydale Quarry – advising on the planning and environmental issues associated with the redevelopment of the former Sibelco Lilydale quarry as a new transport-oriented community.
- Coogee Energy – advising on approvals requirements for the expansion of operations at Coogee's manufacturing complex in Laverton.
- Mitsui – advising Mitsui on the planning and environmental aspects of its disposal of the Bald Hills Wind Farm to Energy Infrastructure Trust.
- McDonald's – advising on planning issues and compulsory acquisition processes impacting McDonald's network of restaurants.
- Various clients – assisting a range of clients, including government clients such as Places Victoria (now Development Victoria) and private sector clients, to transact, cleanup and redevelop contaminated sites.
Areas of Expertise
- Environment & Planning
- Renewable Energy
- Climate Change
- Real Estate (Sector)
Recent News & Publications
- Client Update - 2 February 2018
- Media - 29 January 2018