Richard is one of Australia's most highly regarded M&A and Corporate lawyers. He is consistently ranked in Chambers Asia-Pacific, Chambers Global and Legal 500 as a stand out in his field and is singled out by clients for his 'impressive commerciality and provision of direct, straightforward advice' (Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016).
Richard practices principally in mergers and acquisitions, particularly public company takeovers and schemes of arrangement. He also advises on restructuring of listed companies, business and share acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and initial public offerings.
Richard's experience includes advising:
- Oil Search – on its proposal to acquire InterOil and sell down to Total, and on its defence of the A$11.6 billion takeover proposal from Woodside.
- Ferrovial – on its $813 million hostile takeover of Broadspectrum.
- CSC – on its scheme of arrangement to acquire UXC.
- Just Eat – on its acquisition of Menulog.
- JBS – on its acquisition of Primo Smallgoods.
- Rio Tinto – on various transactions including on the disposal of its controlling interest in Bougainville Copper, scheme of arrangement to privatise Coal & Allied Industries, sale of the Northparkes copper mine, strategic review of Pacific Aluminium, defence of the takeover proposal from BHP Billiton, proposed strategic alliance with Chinalco, sale of its holding in Lihir Gold and the restructuring of Energy Resources of Australia.
- Telecom New Zealand – on its demerger of Chorus.
- Newcrest Mining – on the $9.5 billion merger with Lihir Gold.
- ANZ Specialist Asset Management – on the disposal of ANZ Stadium to the NSW Government.
- Genting Hong Kong – on its investment in The Star Entertainment Group Limited.
- ROC Oil Company – on concurrent schemes and takeover bids for Anzon Energy and Anzon Australia.
- CEMEX – on its bid for Rinker.
- Wesfarmers – on its scheme of arrangement with Coles.
- destra Corporation – on its scheme with Magna Pacific.
- Independent News & Media – on the proposed scheme with Australian Provincial Newspapers.
- Quadra Mining – on its bid for Equatorial Mining.
- Kingsgate Consolidated – on its bid for Andean Resources.
- Patrick Corporation – on defence of the bid by Toll Holdings.
Richard is a member of the Corporations Committee of the Law Council of Australia, and an adjunct faculty member of the University of Sydney lecturing in the masters course on takeovers and reconstructions.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- 24 May 2017
- Client Update - 15 March 2017
- Media - 4 November 2016