Richard is a resources law specialist. He has many years of experience in advising Australian and international companies on a range of transactions in the resources sector, including business acquisitions and divestments, joint ventures, takeovers, infrastructure access and usage agreements and product sales arrangements. Richard is ranked by Chambers Asia Pacific as a leading practitioner in energy & natural resources.
Richard's experience includes acting for:
- Rio Tinto – on more than US$9 billion of divestments in Australia since 2013, comprising the sale of its interests in the following via a combination of competitive and private sale processes:
- the Northparkes copper-gold mine, to China Molybdenum;
- the Clermont coal mine, to a consortium comprising Glencore and Sumitomo;
- the Bengalla coal mine, to New Hope Corporation;
- the Mount Pleasant thermal coal assets, to MACH Energy;
- Coal & Allied Industries, to Yancoal Australia;
- the Hail Creek coal mine and Valeria coal development project, to Glencore;
- the Winchester South coal development project, to Whitehaven Coal; and
- the Kestrel underground coal mine, to a consortium comprising EMR Capital and PT Adaro Energy.
- Aurelia Metals – on the acquisition of Peak Mines from New Gold Inc.
- Genesee & Wyoming – on its acquisition of Glencore Rail and concurrently the issue of an equity stake in Genesee & Wyoming Australia to funds managed by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets.
- Chugoku Electric – on its acquisition of an interest in the Boggabri coal mine from Idemitsu and the establishment of joint venture arrangements between the parties.
- General Atomics – on the acquisition by its subsidiary, Quasar Resources, of the remaining interest in the Four Mile uranium project from its joint venturer, Alliance Resources.
- Coal & Allied Industries – on a number of coal transactions, including the acquisition of the Peabody Group's Australian coal operations and the sale of the Ravensworth and Moura operations to, respectively, Glencore and Anglo Coal.
- Rio Tinto – on the attempted takeover by BHP Billiton.
- Hunan Nonferrous Metals Corporation – on its joint venture arrangements with Compass Resources to develop the latter's base metal interests in the Northern Territory.
- MB Holdings – on its two-stage acquisition of Downer EDI's 'Century Resources' oil, gas and geothermal drilling division.
- The administrators of the Henry Walker Eltin Group – on the sale of its contract mining and mining services business to Leighton Contractors, and on other divestments as part of the administration.
- Rio Tinto Coal and Coal & Allied Industries – on various long-terms port, rail, rail haulage and mine-related infrastructure arrangements in New South Wales and Queensland, involving close work with the firm's Competition group on the applicable regulated access regimes and related access issues.
- Delta Electricity – on coal supply arrangements.
- Schneider Electric – on its acquisition of the 'Clipsal' electrical wiring devices business.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 6 April 2018