Tom is a market leading M&A lawyer and the Co-Head of the Allens' Private Equity practice. He regularly advises many of Australia's largest corporations on their most significant, strategic mergers and acquisitions, notably including advising Wesfarmers on its $20 billion acquisition of Coles Group.
Tom is consistently recognised in both Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global as one of Australia's leading M&A and private equity lawyers. Most recently Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018, stated 'Tom is renowned for his corporate practice, and his clients praise him as "incredibly smart, commercial, practical, very well organised and hard-working".'.
Tom's recent experience includes:
- Pacific Equity Partners – advised PEP on its $307 million public-to-private acquisition of ASX-listed Patties Foods by way of scheme of arrangement.
- Asciano Limited – advised the consortium led by GIP and CPPIB on the acquisition of Asciano Limited for cash consideration of $9.05 billion by way of a scheme of arrangement. This followed a competitive bidding process, which saw a number of proposals for the company.
- Equifax Inc. – advised Equifax on its $2.5 billion proposal to acquire Veda Group Limited.
- Archer Capital – advised Archer Capital on its $938 million divestment of private hospital business Healthe Care to China's Luye Medical Group.
- HRL Morrison – advised HRL Morrison and its clients CSC and Infratil on their acquisition of Canberra Data Centres from Quadrant Private Equity and CDC founders.
- Zimmermann – advised leading luxury fashion brand ZIMMERMANN on its next phase of growth with a minority investment in the brand from General Atlantic, a global growth equity firm.
- Frasers Centrepoint Limited – advised Frasers Centrepoint on its $2.6 billion off-market takeover of Australand Property Group.
- Wesfarmers Limited – advised Wesfarmers on the sale of its insurance broking businesses to AJ Gallagher for $1.01 billion.
- QIC Global Infrastructure – advised QIC Global Infrastructure on the sale of Queensland Motorways to a consortium involving Transurban, Australian Super and ADIA for $7.1 billion.
- West Australian Newspapers – advised West Australian Newspapers on the $4.1 billion acquisition of Seven Media Group and associated capital raisings.
- Global Infrastructure Partners – advised GIP on the sale of 26.7% stake in the Port of Brisbane to The Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec for more than $1.3 billion.
- Q Port Holdings – advised the consortium comprising Global Infrastructure Partners, Industry Funds Management, QIC Global Infrastructure and ADIA on the $2.3 billion acquisition of the 99 year lease of the Port of Brisbane from the Queensland Government.
Areas of Expertise
Recent News & Publications
- Client Update - 6 June 2019
- 18 February 2019
- Media - 10 September 2018
- 25 July 2018
- Media - 9 July 2018