Vijay is a leading M&A and corporate advisory specialist. He is consistently recognised as a market-leading specialist in leading publications, including most recently Chambers Global 2017, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2017, Best Lawyers 2018: Corporate Law and M&A and Who’s Who Legal: Corporate 2017.
Vijay's practice involves advising clients on public takeovers and schemes of arrangement, private acquisitions and disposals (including competitive sales processes), distressed M&A and restructurings, and listed corporate governance. He has advised on a variety of transactions across industry sectors for many of our strategic clients including Arrium, AJLucas, Aristocrat, Billabong, Brambles, Brookfield, Goldman Sachs, Investa, Leighton Holdings, Morgan Stanley, Recall and Westpac. He also advises clients on capital management initiatives, governance and ASX and Corporations Act queries; and regularly deals with regulators relevant to implementing transactions including the Takeovers Panel, ASIC, FIRB and ASX.
Vijay regularly writes on Australian market practice, including most recently in Practical Law Guides: Public Mergers and Acquisitions Global Guide 2016/17: Australia; Financier Worldwide: Annual Review M&A Australia; The International Comparative Legal Guide: Corporate Governance 2017 – Australia; and The International Comparative Legal Guide: M&A 2016 – Australia.
Vijay's direct experience on many recent strategic transactions in the Australian market means that he is across current market-trends and practice. Recent significant matters include:
- Investa Office Fund – on its response to the A$2.98 billion proposal from Cromwell Property Group;
- Recall Holdings – on its response to the A$2.67 billion proposal from Iron Mountain;
- Equifax Inc. – on its A$2.5 billion acquisition of Veda Group Limited;
- Pacific Equity Partners – on the acquisition of Allied Mills, Australia's leading manufacturer of flour, bakery premixes and speciality frozen par-baked products;
- Brookfield – on its take private of the Brookfield Prime Property Fund;
- Macquarie Infrastructure Partners – on its sale of Dulles Greenway Toll Road to Macquarie Atlas Roads for $US445 million;
- Genesee & Wyoming Inc. – on the purchase of Glencore Rail for A$1.14 billion and concurrently the issue of a 49% equity stake in Genesee & Wyoming;
- Ferrovial Services – on its A$1 billion proposal to acquire Transfield Services and subsequent takeover offer;
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing – on the sale to China Investment Corporation of the Investa Property Trust's portfolio of nine Premium and A-grade buildings for over A$2.45 billion, the biggest direct real estate transaction in Australia's history;
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing – on the competitive sale process of the Investa office management platform, which provides asset and property management services to over A$8.9 billion of commercial office assets, as well as advice in connection with the DEXUS takeover proposal for Investa Office Fund and related Takeovers Panel work;
- CSC – on its A$436 million acquisition of UXC Limited; and
- China Construction Bank Corporation – on its purchase of the over A$2 billion Australian corporate loan portfolio of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc.
Vijay has worked on a variety of innovative and complex transactions in Australia and Europe (including during his time with Slaughter and May, 2005-2009). Landmark deals include:
- Alinta Energy's finance syndicate – on the A$2.9 billion recapitalisation solution; Aristocrat Leisure Limited – on its A$1.37 billion acquisition of Tennessee based Video Gaming Technologies, Inc.;
- Arrium – on its response to the A$1.2 billion proposal from Noble Group and POSCO;
- BHP – dual listed companies (DLC) merger with Billiton, the then largest merger in Australian corporate history;
- Billabong – on its response to numerous takeover proposals from various private equity parties, concluding in its recapitalisation by Centerbridge and Oaktree;
- Brambles – on its merger with GKN, again through a DLC structure, and subsequently the unification of the Australian/UK DLC structure via dual schemes of arrangement;
- Brambles – on numerous acquisitions, including the €135 million acquisition via a competitive sale of the Pallecon bulk container business from Apollo; the Ferguson Group for an enterprise value of £320 million; and Germany's IFCO Systems from London-based buyout firm Apax Partners for €923 million;
- CIMB Group – on its acquisition of the Australian cash equities, ECM and corporate finance businesses of The Royal Bank of Scotland;
- Commonwealth Bank – on its strategic alliance with Goldman Sachs to combine ECM and investment research expertise with Australia’s largest online retail share trading platform;
- General Electric – on the acquisition from Smiths Group PLC of Smiths Aerospace for US$4.8 billion in cash;
- Discovery Metals – on the response to takeover proposals from the Chinese private equity group Cathay Fortune, including an A$830 million cash offer;
- GE Money – on the sale of certain financial services businesses in the UK, Ireland, Austria, Germany and Finland to Banco Santander;
- Global infrastructure investor – on its proposed A$5 billion acquisition and investment in the Pilbara iron ore sector, and on its bid for the Moomba to Adelaide pipeline system;
- Goldman Sachs and Brookfield – acquisition of Lloyd's NZ property loan portfolio;
- Leighton Holdings – response to the A$1.115 billion proportional takeover by Hochtief;
- Leighton Holdings – on its A$750 million capital raising and response to regulatory investigations;
- Pacific Equity Partners and Bain Capital – on their A$872 million proposal to acquire Bradken Limited; and
- Yum! Brands Inc. and Yum! Restaurants Australia – on the sale of Pizza Hut in Australia, including the master franchise arrangements for Pizza Hut's Australian network of 260 sub-franchisee stores.
Vijay is admitted in NSW and is a member of the Law Committee of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is also a board member of the Firm's Inclusion and Diversity Council and is Head of our US Practice Desk.
Areas of Expertise
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Capital Markets
- Private Equity
- Data Governance, Data Services, Privacy & Cyber
- Head Office & Governance
- Real Estate (Sector)
Recent News & Publications
- Media - 15 August 2017