Fiona is Chairman of Allens.
Fiona advises clients in complex merger clearances, cartel and other competition and consumer law investigations, litigation and access matters. Fiona is frequently relied on by companies to formulate regulatory strategies where the ACCC and other regulators are key stakeholders.
She has been involved in many of the largest and most complex merger clearances in Australia, including working with international counsel and economists on global mergers. Fiona has acted in high-profile competition cases, including proceedings that established the application of legal professional privilege to investigations brought by the competition regulator and seminal cartel and misuse of market power prosecutions.
Fiona is the immediate past Chair of the Competition and Consumer Committee of the Law Council of Australia and is an active speaker on regulatory and competition issues. Fiona is recognised as a leading competition practitioner in Chambers Asia-Pacific, The Asia-Pacific Legal 500, Best Lawyers and Global Competition Review. Global Competition Review named Fiona in its most recent list of leading women in antitrust worldwide.
- APNO – ACCC clearance on the acquisition by JC Decaux
- BcIMC – acquisition of a stake in Glencore Agriculture
- Dairy Farmers – sale to National Foods and the authorisation of its supply arrangements
- Gambro AB – acquisition by Baxter International, including negotiation of a complex undertaking
- HealtheCare – Healthscope and subsequently Pulse – in acquisitions of a number of hospitals
- Hutchison Telecoms – merger with Vodafone Australia
- Johnson & Johnson – acquisition of Synthes
- M2 Group – merger with Vocus and subsequent acquisition of Nextgen Networks
- Oracle – acquisitions of PeopleSoft, Siebel and Sun Microsystems
- Pfizer – significant global mergers including US$17 billion acquisition of Hospira, divestment of its global infant nutrition business to Nestlé and proposed merger with Allergan
- St.George Bank – merger with Westpac Banking Corporation, the largest bank merger ever in Australia
- Wesfarmers – acquisition of Coles, at the time the largest merger in Australia corporate history
- West Australian Newspapers Holdings – acquisition of Seven Media Group
- Western Digital – acquisition of Hitachi
Enforcement & advisory
- Royal Commission – advising an international bank on the Royal Commission into banks and financial institutions
- Pfizer – successfully defended the highly publicised court proceedings commenced by the ACCC for alleged misuse of market power, both at trial and on appeal to the Full Federal Court
- Global investment banks – a number of significant ACCC cartel investigations
- Medicines Australia – competition adviser to the industry body for the pharmaceutical industry, involving successive authorisation applications
- Energy and resources sector – acted in Australian Competition Tribunal proceedings regarding the acquisition of Macquarie Generation
- Esso – resolving the ACCC's publicly expressed concerns regarding the joint marketing arrangement between Esso and BHP for Gippsland Basin gas.
- Airports – regulatory access and competition advisor to a number of airports
- Sydney Airport – successfully resisting an application for access declaration of services and generally advising in relation to the proposed Western Sydney.
- Port of Brisbane Corporation – successfully resisting an application for access declaration of portside services
- Infrastructure investors – advising on the access and other regulatory risk surrounding their acquisition of port, rail and other infrastructure assets
- Telecommunications – conducting proceedings in the Australian Competition Tribunal on appeals from decisions of the ACCC regarding access pricing.
Areas of Expertise
- Competition, Consumer & Regulatory
- Data Governance, Data Services, Privacy & Cyber
- Disputes & Investigations
- Regulatory Investigations
Recent News & Publications
- Paper - 18 December 2018
- Client Update: ACCC cartel action against Cryosite is a strong reminder of rules prohibiting 'gun jumping'Client Update - 13 July 2018
- Client Update - 11 July 2018