Gerard practices predominantly in the areas of energy and resources law, and is experienced in commercial and corporate transactions in the mining and oil and gas sectors.
Gerard is recognised by peers and clients as a 'very experienced, very commercial and proactive' adviser in the energy and resources sectors and in mining in particular Chambers Asia-Pacific 2015-2018. Gerard was selected by his peers for inclusion in the Ninth Edition of Best Lawyers in Australia (2016) in the practice areas of Mining Law and Natural Resources Law. He was also recognised as the Best Lawyers' 2017 Mining Law 'Lawyer of the Year' for Perth.
Over a period of more than 25 years, Gerard has represented some of the largest mining and oil and gas companies on project structuring, project development, joint ventures, farm-ins, share and asset sales, marketing and royalty arrangements and disputes across a range of commodities.
Gerard's experience includes:
- CITIC Limited – leading the Allens team advising CITIC on a number of commercial and contentious issues arising from the $10 billion Sino Iron Project in Western Australia. This matter has involved significant disputes in a number of jurisdictions, including the Supreme Courts of WA, NSW and Queensland and the Federal Court of Australia.
- ExxonMobil – advising on development options for the Scarborough Joint Venture and on the foundation sales contracts for the PNG LNG Project.
- Ok Tedi Mining – advising on the BHP Billiton exit from Ok Tedi in 2001, the 2011 share buyback from Inmet, shareholder and governance arrangements and the proposed mine life extension project.
- Rio Tinto – advising on the attempted takeover by BHP Billiton, sale of the Cowal gold project, sale of the Kintyre uranium project, establishing the Beasley River (iron ore) Joint Venture, advising on its Asian marketing arrangements and advising on various procurement projects including mobile mining equipment, fuel supply and water supply.
- Perth Mint – advising on its refining agreements with gold producers in Australia, PNG and elsewhere in the region.
Gerard represents Allens on the WA State Branch of AMPLA and on the Australia Papua New Guinea Business Council. He is a contributing editor to the International Energy Law Review.
Gerard is a board member of Allens, and the Perth Practice Director.
He is admitted to practice in Western Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Papua New Guinea.