A partner in the Allens' Projects Group, Nigel specialises in infrastructure, projects and real estate.
Nigel also spent a number of years working in Japan on secondment to a leading Japanese firm, and five years working in Shanghai where he was the leader of Allens' China practice. He has extensive experience in project managing multi-party transactions and is regarded by his clients as bringing a commercial and pragmatic approach to complex projects.
Significant transactions on which he has advised include:
- Midland Health Campus – advising St John of God Healthcare on all aspects of its successful bid to design, construct and operate Western Australia's Midland Health Campus, a 370 bed integrated public / private hospital campus, including the provision of core services;
- WestConnex – advising TfNSW and RMS on risks, procurement, funding and finance strategies for the WestConnex motorway project, a complex integrated transport scheme worth $10 billion over 10 years, including widening and extension of the M4, an access link to Sydney Airport and duplication of the M5 East;
- Investec Bank (Australia) Limited – acting for Investec on its acquisition of land from the South Australian Government as part of the redevelopment of the Bowden precinct; and its development of approximately 80 apartments, comprising at least 32 'key worker' housing stock that will be rented and sold as affordable housing;
- M5 West Road Widening – advising Interlink Roads, the existing concession owner, in connection with all aspect s of the NSW M5 West Widening Project;
- Dexus Property Group – advising DEXUS Property Group on the establishment of a venture with one of the largest pension funds in the world, as its capital partner to co-invest in two of DEXUS' major Australian industrial property projects at Greystanes in Sydney and Laverton in Melbourne, in a transaction worth A$360 million;
- APLNG – advising the Export Credit Agency lenders on the $8.5 billion financing of the Australia Pacific LNG Project, at the time the largest-ever project financing in Australia;
- Biomass Facility – currently advising a UK investor in relation to EPC and O&M contracts for establishment of a biomass power facility in Victoria, Australia;
- Solar Flagships – advised BP Solar and its consortium partners, Fotowatio Renewable Ventures and Pacific Hydro, on the EPC and O&M contracts in its bid to develop a $923 million solar farm near Moree in NSW as part of the Commonwealth's Solar Flagships Program;
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital PPP – advising Investec Bank Limited as investor in the Macquarie-led Bilfinger Berger / Laing O'Rourke consortium bidding for the Queensland Government's Sunshine Coast Hospital PPP Project;
- China JV – acting for Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Canada's largest institutional investor, in the formation of its first joint venture in China, with Hong Kong-listed Shanghai Forte Land Co;
- SWRL Rail – acting for the NSW Transport Construction Authority (formerly TIDC) in connection with Stage 2 of the South West Rail Link Project;
- ALE Property Trust – acting as lead partner advising Macquarie Bank on the float of the ALE Property Trust, a dual listed structure that was at the time Insto Magazine's Innovative Deal of the Year, and
- Various Bids – acting for consortia for bids for privatisation of the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal in Mackay, Queensland, the Sydney Lane Cove Tunnel PPP Project, HQJOC PPP Project; and Long Bay Prison PPP Project.
Nigel has been trained formally in Legal Project Management, most recently attending a full-day LPM workshop delivered by US legal project management expert Susan Raridon Lambreth. Nigel's LPM expertise drives efficient legal and business outcomes for his clients.
Areas of Expertise