About Penny Alexander
Penny is a major projects specialist focusing on transactional and advisory work in the infrastructure, energy and resources sectors with particular expertise in project management and in drafting and negotiating complex, bespoke commercial agreements. As part of her practice, Penny assists a diverse range of private and government sector clients over the full lifecycle of their major projects. Penny has a deep understanding of her clients’ regulatory and contractual arrangements, as well as their typical drivers, processes, risk tolerance, policies and stakeholders.
Penny spent over two years seconded to the in-house legal team of Mitsubishi Corporation in Tokyo, to provide expertise to Mitsubishi’s global investments portfolio. Since returning to Australia, Penny has continued her passion for assisting Japanese companies with their investments in Australia and has maintained strong connections within the broader Australia-Japan business community.
Penny's relevant experience includes advising:
- Victorian Government departments and authorities – projects such as the COVID-19 Hotel Quarantine Program, the establishment of Ports Victoria, the Victorian Renewable Energy Auction Scheme, the Connected & Automated Vehicles Grants Program, the Stockman zinc-copper mine project, the refranchising of the Melbourne metropolitan train and tram networks, the procurement and maintenance of rolling stock, the operator-interface of major PPP projects including Melbourne Metro and the HCMT Projects, the introduction, and subsequent re-tender, of the myki public transport ticketing system, as well as various market-led proposals.
- voestalpine Railway Systems – strategic advice on its key operational agreements.
- Mitsubishi Corporation– various acquisition opportunities in Australia across multiple sectors, as well as strategic offtake arrangements.
- Oil Search– development of a new 60MW gas-fired power station outside Port Moresby.
- Nishi-Nippon Railroad – acquisition of an Australian logistics company.
- APA Group – the $5 billion acquisition of BG Group's QCLNG gas pipeline in Queensland.
- Snowy Hydro – acquisition of Colongra power station from the NSW Government.
- Newcrest – sale of Newcrest's interests in the Cracow and Mt Rawdon gold mines.
- Shell – divestment of Shell's downstream fuels and lubricants businesses in the Pacific Islands.
- Rio Tinto (and its subsidiaries) – the divestment of Lihir Gold Ltd, the sale of the Mt Weld Projects and the development of the Oyu Tolgoi Project.