About Hilary Birks
Hilary specialises in commercial dispute resolution and litigation and has a wide ranging contentious practice.
Hilary has experience acting for clients in a range of industries including:
- Mining and resources;
- Oil and gas;
- Pharmaceuticals; and
- Banking and financial institutions.
Hilary has gained valuable experience working overseas in London, both in private practice roles and as in house Legal Counsel for a multinational mining and resources company. Hilary has also completed a Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne.
Hilary is known for her ability and commitment to understanding her clients' businesses and building strong relationships with them. She understands the importance of developing strategies for managing matters in a way that aligns with her clients' objectives and is focussed on delivering outcomes in a cost effective manner.
Hilary's matter related experience includes:
- acting for multinational mining and resources and oil and gas companies in relation to regulatory investigations, including management of change to global operations resulting from the implementation of European Union regulations;
- acting for a multinational pharmaceuticals company in relation to a representative proceeding commenced in the Federal Court of Australia;
- advising multinational mining and resources and oil and gas companies in relation to arbitration agreements, institutional rules and drafting of dispute resolution provisions including expert determinations and arbitration agreements;
- acting for a multinational financial services company in relation to a portfolio of claims issued in England and Wales;
- acting for a multinational mining and resources company in proceedings relating to a lump sum turnkey contract; and
- acting for a major financial institution in relation to cross border breach of contract claims.