About Robert Fish
Robert Fish is a Partner in Allens' Ho Chi Minh City office. Robert joined the office at the beginning of 2012 after having spent the previous eight years working on transactions across Asia whilst based in Singapore and Hong Kong and, before that, for five years in London and Frankfurt with Slaughter and May. He has been recognised as a leading practitioner for several years by independent legal directories, including Chambers Asia-Pacific and Legal 500 Asia-Pacific.
His primary practice areas are banking and finance (including structured financing, bonds, debt/equity hybrid instruments and project financing) and corporate/M&A. His clients cover the whole spectrum of participants in such transactions: from borrowers/issuers, banks and other financial institutions (such as investment funds and hedge funds) and trustees, to joint venture participants and private equity investors. His experience in Asia covers Vietnam, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Guinea and Sri Lanka.
Robert's recent major transactions in Vietnam include advising:
- Goldman Sachs and the syndicate of lenders on a US$250m Government-guaranteed and MIGA-covered syndicated loan to finance the upgrade and extension of National Highway 20 in Vietnam on a build-transfer basis.
- Harbinger Capital Partners on the financing of the The Grand Ho Tram Resort and Casino Project, a US$4bn multi-phase integrated resort project in Vung Tau Province in southern Vietnam.
- Insurance Australia Group on its acquisition of a controlling stake in AAA Assurance, a leading non-life insurer in Vietnam.
- Nghi Son Refinery Project and its sponsors (Kuwait Petroleum, Idemitsu, Mitsui Chemicals and PetroVietnam) on the US$5.5bn financing of the US$9bn Nghi Son Refinery Project.
- ANZ on a US$50m loan to An Khanh New City Development JVC to finance the construction of this large scale real estate project, backed by Korea’s POSCO group.
- ANZ and the syndicate of lenders on the original financing, and ongoing restructuring, of a US$45m Government-guaranteed loan to Dong Banh Cement Company.
- China Investment Corporation on the financing of several projects in SE Asia, including the project financing of the US$2bn Mong Duong II power plant.
- GE Capital on its participation in the equitisation of Vietcombank.
- Talanx on its acquisition of more than 30% of PVI Holdings, the holding company of PVI Insurance, a leading non-life insurer in Vietnam.
- TPG on its investment in Masan Group by way of convertible bonds.
- IFC on its acquisition of a signifcant minority interest in Thien Minh Travel Group, a major Vietnamese travel and hospitality group.
- Abbott Laboratories on the Vietnamese aspecs of the spin-off of its research-based pharmaceuticals division to AbbVie Pharmaceuticals and on its recent acquisition of CFR Pharmaceuticals.