George specialises in Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution. His practice focuses on regulatory investigations, contract disputes and general dispute avoidance advice. George works with clients across a range of industries, with significant experience in the financial and industrial sectors.
George's Japanese client experience is especially strong, having worked for a number of years in international cartel investigations and cross-border commercial transactions in the Tokyo office of a leading global firm. His broad range of legal experience also includes serving as Tipstaff (law clerk) to the Chief Justice of New South Wales.
George holds law degrees from both Hokkaido University and Australian National University.
George's representative experience includes advising:
- a Japanese coal company – in its contractual dispute with a US energy giant in relation to liabilities arising out of its sale to the US company of an Australian coal miner
- Law Society of NSW – in its application to be heard as amicus curiae in the appeal in the High Court of Australia in Attwells, a case in relation to whether the common law should preserve the 'advocates' immunity'
- a Japanese refinery joint venture – in various disputes with the contractor consortium in relation to the engineering, procurement and construction of a large refinery in Asia
- ANZ Banking Group – in its response to a number of investigations by the Australian corporate regulator, ASIC
- Furukawa Electric – in its response to the Power Cables cartel investigation, in which the European Commission fined 11 companies a total of €302 million, and its appeal (application for judicial review) in the General Court contesting that fine*
- Furukawa – in its negotiations with the NSW Environment Protection Authority in relation to its liability for contamination caused by an Australian subsidiary*
- Nachi Fujikoshi – in its response to the Automotive Bearings cartel investigation, in which six companies (following leniency applications) settled with the European Commission for total fines of €953 million*
- Macquarie Bank – in its response to ASIC's Storm Financial investigation and in its defences of both ASIC and class action proceedings, including proceedings in the NSW Supreme Court and Federal Court, involving claims including accessorial liability in relation to the running of an unregistered 'managed investment scheme', breach of contract, unconscionable conduct and liability as a 'linked credit provider'
- Macquarie Bank – in its appeal in the Full Court of the Federal Court in Goodridge, an important case in relation to margin lending and contract law
George is a key member of the Allens Japan client team. He is proficient in Japanese.
* Previous law firm experience.