Penny is a major projects specialist focusing on transactional and advisory work in the infrastructure, energy and resources sectors with particular expertise in project management and in negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements. As part of her practice, Penny assists a diverse range of private and government sector clients in their major projects, and she has also represented local and global resources and infrastructure companies in merger and acquisition transactions, in their dealings with Australian and overseas governments and regulatory bodies, as well as advising on risk identification and management.
Penny spent two years seconded to the in-house legal team of Mitsubishi Corporation in Tokyo, to provide expertise to Mitsubishi’s global investments portfolio. In that role, Penny assisted with acquisitions, divestments and corporate reorganisations in relation to Mitsubishi's projects in Australia, Indonesia, Mongolia, Chile, Peru, Mozambique, Guinea and Canada. She also provided advice and assistance on general corporate and strategic matters. Penny has a passion for assisting Japanese companies with their investments in Australia and remains intimately involved with the broader Australia-Japan business community.
Penny's transactional experience includes advising:
- Victorian Government departments and authorities – projects such as the Victorian Renewable Energy Auction Scheme, the Southern Cross Station Upgrade market-led proposal, the Connected & Automated Vehicles Grants Program, the Stockman zinc-copper mine project, the refranchising of the Melbourne metropolitan train and tram networks, the procurement and maintenance of rolling stock, the Cranbourne Pakenham PPP Rail Project, and the introduction, and subsequent re-tender, of the myki public transport ticketing system.
- Oil Search – development of a new 60MW gas-fired power station outside Port Moresby.
- Nishi-Nippon Railroad – acquisition of an Australian logistics company.
- APA Group – the $5 billion acquisition of BG Group's QCLNG gas pipeline in Queensland.
- Snowy Hydro – acquisition of Colongra power station from the NSW Government.
- Mitsubishi Corporation – acquisition opportunities in Australia, and offtake arrangements with an ASX-listed company developing rare earth minerals in Queensland.
- Newcrest – sale of Newcrest's interests in the Cracow and Mt Rawdon gold mines.
- Shell – divestment of Shell's downstream fuels and lubricants businesses in the Pacific Islands.
- Rio Tinto (and its subsidiaries) – the divestment of Lihir Gold Ltd, the sale of the Mt Weld Projects and the development of the Oyu Tolgoi Project.