About Michael Hogan
Michael specialises in the procurement and delivery of major construction and infrastructure projects.
Michael has a particular interest in innovative and collaborative contracting models. He works across a range of sectors (including transport, water, mining, energy, and developments) and on projects in all parts of Australia and in Papua New Guinea.
Michael returned to Allens in 2019 following nine years as an in-house lawyer at an ASX-listed construction materials company and then as General Counsel and Company Secretary at a private equity-owned services company.
Michael is a strategic and commercial adviser. He holds post-graduate qualifications in corporate governance, and in 2017 he was named 'Young Lawyer of the Year' by the Association of Corporate Counsel Australia.
Michael’s recent experience includes advising:
- Transport for NSW – on the procurement of the ~$1.8 billion Coffs Harbour Bypass Project using a collaborative design and construct contract.
- Transport for NSW – on the procurement of the ~$2.1 billion M1 Pacific Motorway Extension to Raymond Terrace (M12RT) using a collaborative design and construct contract.
- Sunwater Limited – on the Paradise Dam Improvement Program, including the wall raising alliance (2022) and the 'essential works' spillway lowering project (2020).
- Water Infrastructure NSW – on a program alliance for the Dungowan Dam project and the Wyangala Dam wall raising project.
- Sunwater – on the procurement of the ~$350 million Rookwood Weir alliance project.
- G2Konnect consortium (Acciona, Ferrovial, Cintra) – on its bid for the Inland Rail public private partnership (relating to the 128 kilometre alignment from Gowrie to Kagaru).
- Pembroke Resources – on a ~$1.5 billion mining services agreement with Thiess in relation to the Olive Downs mine in Queensland.
- WestConnex – on matters relating to its involvement in the Sydney Gateway, M6 and Western Harbour Tunnel projects and the future integration of those roads with the WestConnex motorway.
- Department of Transport (Victoria) – on aspects of the procurement of rolling stock in the Next Generation Trams project, including in relation to arrangements with the operator of the Melbourne tram network.
- Sunwater – on arrangements for the operation and maintenance of dams and other assets of the Border Rivers Commission.
- Steamships Trading Company – on development projects in Port Moresby.
- St Barbara – on a mining services agreement for the Gwalia gold mine in Western Australia.
- GS Engineering & Construction – in its capacity as equity sponsor in its successful bid for the ~$11 billion North East Link public private partnership project.
- Boral – in its capacity as participant in the ConnectSydney joint venture on its successful bid for a Sydney Roads Assets Performance Contract.
Michael also acts for a number of developers and contractors on both large and small projects.