About Ted Hill
Ted has practised for over 25 years in the areas of competition law and infrastructure regulation. He has particular experience in:
- ACCC review of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures;
- ACCC investigations; and
- third party access to infrastructure and economic regulation.
Ted's experience includes:
- assisting various clients to obtain ACCC clearance for acquisitions and joint ventures, including in the mining, oil and gas, energy, chemicals, financial, food, liquor, retail and transport industries. Ted acted for Rio Tinto in relation to BHP Billiton's takeover offer and on the negotiation of the proposed Pilbara iron ore joint venture with BHP Billiton;
- advising in relation to third party access to infrastructure, including acting for Rio Tinto in successfully opposing FMG's application for access to rail infrastructure in the Pilbara, including proceedings before the Australian Competition Tribunal, the Full Federal Court and the High Court;
- advising clients in relation to competition law issues arising from joint ventures, particularly in the mining and oil and gas sectors;
- advising on ACCC investigations of possible breaches of competition and consumer laws;
- acting for bidders for regulated infrastructure assets on competition and pricing issues;
- assisting government clients in the design and implementation of infrastructure regulatory regimes, including:
- acting for the Victorian Government in relation to the Victorian public transport sector, including the franchising of train and tram businesses in 1999, the restructure of the franchise arrangements in 2003 and the refranchising in 2009 and 2017;
- advising various Council of Australian Government bodies on the drafting and implementation of the Code regulating third party access to gas pipelines in Australia;
- acting for the Papua New Guinean Government on the introduction of general competition laws and new regulatory regimes for the electricity, telecommunications, post, water, harbours and motor vehicle insurance industries;
- acting for State and Territory economic regulators on regulation in a variety of industries, including electricity, port, rail and taxis;
- advising the Victorian Essential Services Commission on rail, port, taxi and other regulatory matters.
Ted is recognised as a leading competition law practitioner in Chambers Asia-Pacific and is a member of the Competition and Consumer Committee of the Law Council of Australia.