About Tristan Iredell
Tristan is a Managing Associate in our Projects and Development group, advising clients on the development of major projects across the infrastructure, energy, resources, oil and gas and petrochemical sectors in Australia and the Asia Pacific.
As a projects and project finance specialist, Tristan advises project companies, sponsors, contractors, banks and export credit agencies on the procurement, development, financing and operation of a wide variety of projects. He has extensive experience with construction contracts of all types, joint ventures, farm-in agreements and offtake agreements and has particular expertise in advising clients on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, including the FIDIC suite of contracts, for large social and public engineering, energy and infrastructure projects.
A selection of Tristan's experience (front-end procurement as well as project finance) includes:
- Advising Main Roads Western Australia on the planning and delivery stages of the Gateway WA Perth Airport and Freight Access Project, Western Australia’s largest ever road project.
- Confidential role as part of a team advising one of the project participants on the development of a high speed rail link between Singapore and Malaysia.
- Advising the developer / operator in connection with the new Midland Hospital, an innovative mixed public/private hospital project, involving aspects of PPP and alliance contracting.
- Advising a major Japanese contractor in relation to a large-scale port and associated infrastructure project in Indonesia.
Energy and Resources
- Advising AngloGold Ashanti in relation to the Tropicana Gold Project, including drafting and advising on EPCM, supply, construction and other ancillary contracts and providing legal advice on contract administration.
- Acting for Holcim (now LafargeHolcim) and advising on, preparing and negotiating contracts (including bespoke FEED, EPC, construction and supply) for new production plants and expansion projects in India, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
- Advising the financiers in relation to the development, financing and construction of the 50MW Tsetsii Wind Farm, the second ever renewable energy project in Mongolia.
- Advising sponsors (and project companies) and financiers in relation to a number of separate hydropower projects in Laos, Thailand, Indoneisa and Nepal, and in particular the development, financing and construction of the Nam Theun 1 (Laos with cross-border offtake to Thailand), Nam Ngiep 1 (Laos) and Rajamandala (Indonesia) hydropower projects.
- Advising the lenders on a large and innovative portfolio of solar PV installations on commercial and industrial buildings in Thailand.
- Advising Ok Tedi Mining and preparing a bespoke suite of contracts for engineering, procurement and construction services for its mining operations in Papua New Guinea.
- Advising Atlas Iron Limited and preparing bespoke and standard form contracts for the development of its iron ore assets and related infrastructure in Western Australia.
Oil and gas and petrochemicals
- Acting for the project company regarding the construction and financing of phase two of the Pengerang Terminal at the Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development in Johor, Malaysia, which includes the construction of approximately 2.1 million cubic metres of storage capacity, terminalling facilities and a new deepwater jetty.
- Advising JBIC, ADB, 14 international banks and four Indonesian banks on the US$3.7 billion financing of an expansion of LNG Train (Train 3) of the Tangguh LNG Project in Papua Barat province, Indonesia.
- Advising Long Son Petrochemicals Company on the procurement, development and financing of its US$7 billion petrochemical complex in Ba Ria-Vung Tau, Vietnam.
- Advising DUET Group and its subsidiary, DBP Development Group, on its joint venture with TEC Pilbara Pty Ltd, a subsidiary of Canada's TransAlta Corp, to build, own and operate a natural gas transmission pipeline from the DBNGP to Fortescue Metal Group Limited's Solomon Hub iron ore operations in Western Australia.
- Advising PT Medco Energy and preparing EPCI contracts for its proposed development of the Block A gas fields in Aceh, Indonesia.
Tristan previously spent six months on secondment to the in-house legal team of a major international gold producer, giving him valuable industry and commercial insight.
He has also recently returned to Allens after spending the last three and a half years in the Projects and Project Finance group at a UK magic circle firm based in Singapore where he acted for project companies, sponsors, contractors, banks and export credit agencies on a wide variety of project matters in the Asia Pacific region.