About Gobind Kalsi
Gobind specialises in environment and planning approvals for energy, resource, infrastructure and renewable projects. Gobind provides advice in relation to all stages of the approval process for projects including: prefeasibility assessments and approval strategies; the Terms of Reference; Commonwealth referral; review of assessment documents; conditioning; and court objections stages.
Gobind understands the environment, water and planning approvals required for projects over their full life-cycle. This means he can provide strategic approval advice to deliver projects efficiently and identify the ways in which approvals can minimise operational costs, increase the value of the asset and facilitate compliant operations.
Gobind’s relevant experience includes:
- Major and mid-size miners – portfolio-wide advice regarding operational and approval matters for Queensland coal, metal and bauxite existing and new projects, including: Commonwealth EPBC Act matters, compliance matters, and State approvals.
Gobind assists clients to navigate approval pathways in a way that minimises approval timeframes and de-risks projects. This includes providing advice regarding stakeholder engagement strategies.
- Court challenges – responding to Land Court objection proceedings to the grant of mining leases and the associated environmental authority, for example for the Pembroke Olive Downs Project, GVK Hancock Alpha Coal Mine and Glencore Wandoan Coal Project.
Gobind has extensive experience in assisting clients in responding to challenges relating to alleged groundwater impacts, among other alleged environmental impacts.
- Onshore Gas operators – advising Queensland and Northern Territory onshore gas operators on environmental approval requirements, compliance matters and regulatory reform.
- Climate change and emerging issues – advising on the changing legal and regulatory landscape relating to climate change and human rights issues and how these matters can be addressed in the approval process and challenges to approvals based on these grounds.
- Executive Officers – responding to compliance action taken by the environmental regulator seeking to personally prosecute an alleged executive officer for alleged environmental offences.
- Renewables – environmental approvals and compliance matters relating to windfarms and pumped hydro projects, including EPBC Act approvals strategy for the Snowy 2.0 Project.
- Dams – environmental and water approvals required for the operation and upgrade of major dam projects.
- Ports – advising Queensland port operators on environmental approval requirements.
- Transactions – advising vendors and purchasers on the sale and acquisition of major resource projects, and infrastructure projects nationally.
- Commissions of inquiry – assisting Seqwater in responding to the 2011 Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry.