About Geoff Rankin
Geoff has more than 30 years of experience at Allens and has been a partner since 1989. He regularly advises resource companies in relation to complex disputes including domestic and international arbitrations.
He is admitted in all Australian jurisdictions.
Geoff has advised the firm's resources clients throughout his career and has a deep understanding of resource businesses and the third party infrastructure arrangements that are common in these markets.
Geoff has a broad dispute practice and has recently acted for:
- Glencore – advising in relation to joint venture disputes, defending representative actions in the Supreme Court of Queensland, acting in a confidential arbitration relating to port access fees; advising in relation to cross-border construction dispute.
- Redpath – contract services in a complex contract dispute with Anglo Coal.
- CITIC – defending multi-jurisdiction litigation/arbitrations.
- Repsol – prosecuting a number of confidential international arbitrations.
- Santos – defending royalty claims.
- Exxon – confidential.
- Central Petroleum – defending claims in Australia and the USA.
- Peabody Coal – acting in various contractual disputes.
- Queensland Bulk Terminals – prosecuting claim arising from crane failure.
- Puma – advising on competition issues.
Geoff has ranked in Chambers Global and Best Lawyers on numerous occasions in the past decades.