About Geoff Rankin
Geoff has more than 30 years of experience at Allens and has been a partner since 1989. He regularly advises resource companies in relation to complex disputes including domestic and international arbitrations.
He has advised the firm's resources clients throughout his career and has a deep understanding of resource businesses and the third party infrastructure arrangements that are common in these markets.
Geoff has a broad dispute practice and has acted for:
- advising in relation to joint venture disputes, defending representative actions in the Supreme Court of Queensland, acting in a confidential arbitration relating to port access fees; advising in relation to cross-border construction dispute,
- acting in the CWP Inquiry with a broad role as Glencore Management appeared before the Inquiry, and
- successfully defended in a range of cases brought by Clive Palmer's companies including Mineralogy relating to access to a shipping berth in Townsville
- Redpath – contract services in a complex contract dispute with Anglo Coal.
- CITIC – defending multi-jurisdiction litigation/arbitrations.
- Repsol – prosecuting a number of confidential international arbitrations.
- Santos – defending royalty claims.
- Exxon – confidential.
- Central Petroleum – defending petroleum claims in Australia and the USA.
- Queensland Bulk Terminals – prosecuting claim arising from crane failure.
- Puma – advising on competition issues.
- Queensland Government Coal Workers Pneumoconiosis (CWP) Inquiry – working closely with Peabody Management in the preparation of submissions to the Inquiry and including the review of documentation required by the Inquiry.
- Allianz – advising the insurance company in the Hayne Inquiry.
- BHP – acting in the Connolly Inquiry and the Merna Disaster.
- Peabody – acting in:
- contractual disputes with Posco Coal and Yancoal Tech Bucyrus relating to performance of an underground miner,
- Supreme Court litigation against New Hope, and
- Supreme Court litigation in a number of pneumoconiosis suits.
Geoff has ranked in Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific and Best Lawyers on numerous occasions in the past decades. He is admitted in all Australian jurisdictions.