About Mark Williams
Mark specialises in the filing, prosecution and defending of trade mark applications before the Australian and New Zealand Trade Mark Offices. He also assists clients with the development and implementation of international brand protection and enforcement strategies.
Mark has extensive experience in managing the global trade mark portfolios of Australian clients including The Just Group, which encompasses the portfolios of Just Jeans, Smiggle, Peter Alexander, Dotti, Portmans, Jacqui E and Jay Jays. Additionally, mark handles the Australian portfolios for major international companies including Acushnet Company (Titleist), Jaguar Land Rover Limited and Unicharm Corporation.
Mark also handles contentious matters, including appearing in Hearings before the Australian Trade Mark Office. His additional experience includes:
- Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd – Acted for Coles in disputes with Price Costco International, Inc. relating to multiple trade mark applications and oppositions, and in the commercial resolution of those disputes.
- Multi-Holding AG – Defended an opposition by Legend (Pacific) Pty Ltd against Multi-Holding AG's application for the trade mark MC4, successfully refuting an allegation that the trade mark consisted of a generic term. The decision will pave the way for Multi-Holding AG to pursue infringing third parties.
- Bangkok Rubber Public Company Limited – Defended a trade mark opposition by Puma SE. Despite Puma being able to demonstrate an overwhelming reputation in its puma device, the opposition was successfully defended on the basis that there was no likelihood of confusion in the Australian market.
- Market Australia, Inc Defended a trade mark opposition by Omega Pharma Innovation & Development NV by successfully arguing that, in respect of dietary supplements, TLS and XLS were not deceptively similar trade marks.
- Australian Customs Protection – Mark works closely with Australian Customs for a number of clients in relation to the importation of counterfeit products, including for World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc., Australian Paper, Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) and Cricket Australia.
Mark is a regular attendee at the International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting, and is a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ) and a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys (IPTA). Mark is also a member of the IPTA Trade Marks Committee.