Recent real estate experience includes acting for the following clients:
Goldman Sachs Asia Special Situations Group
Advised Goldman Sachs on a joint venture with Blue Sky Private Real Estate to establish a new student accommodation platform. The joint venture involves both parties pursuing investment opportunities to develop student accommodation projects across Australia and New Zealand, with each entity owning 50 per cent of future projects developed under the joint venture.
Anthony John Group
Advising on the Emporium development in Fortitude Valley, the Southgate Corporate Park at Cannon Hill and proposed mixed-use developments at South Bank and Buranda together with an agreement for lease to Flight Centre for approximately 23,500m2 of space in the proposed Southpoint development at South Bank, Brisbane.
Acting for a Charter Hall Retail Partnership with Canada's PSP Investments on its $165 million acquisition of the Bay Village Shopping Centre. Work included due diligence, sale contract negotiation, partnership establishment and all investment property management arrangements.
Advising Coles on the disposal of a portfolio of supermarket and shopping centre assets across Victoria and NSW.
- Advising DEXUS on its major commercial office leases in its premium Sydney CBD buildings, including the newly constructed building at 1 Bligh Street, Sydney, and the agreement for lease to a large firm taking 9,500m2 of space in Governor Macquarie Tower, Sydney.
- Advising on the establishment of a venture with one of the largest pension funds in the world, as its capital partner to co-invest in two of DEXUS' major Australian industrial property projects at Greystanes in Sydney and Laverton in Melbourne, in a transaction worth A$360 million. This was the first capital partnership of this nature for DEXUS, which has $13 billion of assets under management.
- Acting for DEXUS Wholesale Property Fund in the purchase of Beenleigh Marketplace Shopping Centre.
Acting for FKP on the 30-level mixed use high rise at Milton, Brisbane. On completion, the development will comprise more than 300 apartments and a retail and commercial precinct.
Frasers Property Group
Advising Frasers Property Group on the development of their $2 billion mixed-use urban development at Central Park, Broadway, Sydney, including their joint venture with Sekisui House, the development and sale of a number of apartment buildings, the sale of land around the main project, the leasing of Central Shopping Centre and the construction financing.
- Advising GIC, one of the consortium which acquired and redeveloped the iconic Myer Melbourne stores on Bourke Street and Lonsdale Street. The total project value exceeded $1.2 billion.
- Advising on the property aspects and property and development management arrangements for the takeover of the Charter Hall Office Trust (with PSP).
- Advising GIC on the establishment of an industrial joint venture with Australand regarding the acquisition of major distribution centres across Australia and subsequent add ons of a number of purpose-built and fund-through developments.
Advising the Goodman Australia Industrial Fund (GAIF) on two significant real estate acquisitions in Sydney. The first transaction involved the $343 million acquisition of Sydney Corporate Park in South Sydney, a 14.3 hectare site which has 80 tenants across a diverse group of industries. In a separate transaction, we also advised GAIF on its acquisition from the City of Sydney of a 1.98-hectare site in the Sydney suburb of Rosebery for $37.4 million.
- Acting on the co-ordinated sale by the GPT Group of 50 per cent interests in Westfield Woden Plaza, ACT, and Westfield Casuarina Square, NT, for a combined value in excess of $500 million. Work included advising on sale contract negotiations and co-ownership, development and property management arrangements.
- Advising GPT on agreements for lease with Ernst & Young and Gadens for anchor tenancies at 111 Eagle Street, Brisbane.
- Advising Grocon on the acquisition of a commercial office building at 85 Spring Street, Melbourne.
- Acting for Grocon on the negotiation of tenancy documentation for the new ATO commercial office developments in Brisbane and Melbourne.
- Advising Grocon on the new Fairfax head office development (known as Media House) on Collins Street, Melbourne.
- Advised on the redevelopment of the former Carlton and United Brewery site into a mixed-use, high-density precinct comprising residential, commercial, retail, entertainment and educational uses.
Acting on Grosvenor's sale of its 50 per cent interest in 400 George Street, Brisbane to Motor Accident Commission of SA for more than $195 million, which involved co-ordinating the due diligence, negotiating the contract for sale and accession and co-ownership arrangements with the co-owner and purchaser and closing the sale, across three jurisdictions.
- Acting for Investa in the redevelopment and leasing to Telstra of 16-18 Mort Street Canberra, which became Telstra's Canberra head office.
- Acting for Investa Office Fund on the acquisition of a 25 per cent interest in Deutsche Bank Place, Sydney and a 50 per cent interest in Telstra's Global Headquarters in Melbourne.
Advising Lend Lease in relation to its infrastructure and construction agreements with State and local authorities at several of its master planned residential projects, including St Mary's, Calderwood and Bingara Gorge.
LaSalle Investment Management
Advised LaSalle, one of the world's leading real estate investment managers, on its acquisition of a 25 per cent interest in the 42-storey premium-grade office tower development proposed for 161 Castlereagh Street, Sydney.
- Advising Mirvac on the $300 million development of commercial office towers at 699 Bourke Street and 664 Collins Street, Melbourne. The construction of these office towers is highly complicated, as they are being constructed on an existing deck adjacent to Melbourne's Southern Cross Station. This means there are significant interface issues with the station operator, the rail operator and the relevant government authorities that manage the rail stakeholders.
- Acting for Mirvac on the acquisition of 367 Collins Street, Melbourne for approximately $230 million. The transaction was one of the largest commercial office tower acquisitions in Melbourne in 2013.
- Advising Mirvac on the negotiation of tenancy documentation with AGL for a new commercial office building to be developed at 699 Bourke Street, Melbourne.
Advising Places Victoria on the divestment of its greenfield assets at Craigieburn, Aurora and Officer. The properties were offered for sale via a public tender process, subject to strict probity requirements. Our role included conducting comprehensive legal due diligence, assisting with preparation of the information memorandum and request for tender document, advising on the bid process, drafting and negotiating the contracts of sale and attending to settlement.
Queensland Investment Corporation
Acted for Queensland Investment Corporation on a number of its significant fund transactions, including restructuring the QIC Investment Trust, establishing the QIC Sydney Premium Office Fund, and establishing a A$1.3 billion retail shopping centre fund and structuring an offering of an interest in that fund (A$600 million) to domestic and international wholesale investors.
Advised Woolworths Limited on a matter that sees the supermarket giant establish property fund spin-off Shopping Centres Australasia Property Group. The listed real estate investment trust will own a portfolio of 69 shopping centres in Australia and New Zealand worth $1.4 billion. SCA funded the price for the properties in its portfolio through a combination of publicly raised equity, capital reduction and unsecured debt.