About Philip Blaxill
Philip is a trusted advisor to clients facing strategic commercial litigation or inquiries as well as to clients involved in a restructure or insolvency proceeding.
Chambers notes that Philip is 'an active and very, very capable litigator with a good banking enforcement practice.' Clients regularly comment on how Philip's advice is timely and practical, enabling clients to achieve the best possible commercial outcome as efficiently as possible.
Recent matters include acting for Crown in the Perth Casino Royal Commission, acting for Woodside in judicial review proceedings, acting for Bluewaters Power and acting for CITIC in its dispute with Clive Palmer's Mineralogy.
Philip's relevant recent experience includes advising:
- Woodside – in judicial review proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia defending a challenge to environmental approvals.
- Santos – in judicial review proceeding in the Federal Court defending a challenge to environment plans.
- Crown – the Perth Casino Royal Commission.
- CITIC – in multi-faceted litigation on the Sino Iron Project in the Supreme Court of Western Australia, Federal Court of Australia, Supreme Court of Queensland and private arbitrations.
- Bluewaters – in complex restructuring issues relating to its coal supplier (Griffin Coal) and the restructuring of Bluewaters own banking facilities as well as in various proceedings involving Griffin Coal.
- McGrathNicol – in the receivership of entities in the Quintis Group of companies including in disputes with its former CEO and associated parties arising from meetings of members of managed investment schemes and to recover money owing under loan agreements in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and Federal Court of Australia.
- Quintis – in disputes with its former CEO and associated parties arising from meetings of members of managed investment schemes and to recover of money owing under loan agreements in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and Federal Court of Australia.
- Commonwealth Bank – in the prosecution of a claim for damages arising from a valuation of mortgaged properties.
- McGrathNicol – in the liquidation of entities the Caratti group of companies.
- Ferrier Hodgson (now KPMG)/Quintana Minerals – in the restructure of the gold miner, KBL Resources Ltd via a receivership and credit bid by the secured creditor.