About Tania Cini
Tania is a leading corporate insolvency and restructuring specialist with over 25 years' experience in the area. She is also an established litigator, having represented major clients of the firm in complex and reputationally significant litigation, particularly in the area of construction and infrastructure disputes.
Restructuring and insolvency
Tania has acted for insolvency administrators, local and international financiers and other key clients of the firm in some of Australia's major corporate collapses and restructurings. These assignments have spanned a wide range of industries and settings and have included:
- retail (Venture Stores, McEwens, Sportsgirl, Colorado Group, FitnessFirst);
- transport and government services (National Safety Council, Ansett, National Express Group);
- manufacturing (Linter Textiles, ION Limited Group, CMI Industrial, Autodom Group, Australian auto manufacturing industry wind down);
- mining and resources (Pasminco, Coalpac, Hazell Bros Group); and
- property and managed investment schemes (Centro Property Group, Letten Property GroupBanksia Securities).
Tania has been consistently named as a 'notable practitioner' in this area by Chambers Asia-Pacific. Clients say 'She provides balanced and commercial advice and is very client-focused.'.
Recent assignments have included:
- Acting as a strategic advisor to Ford Motor Company of Australia in connection with the stability of Ford's supplier base and the management of distressed component manufacturers in the lead up to cessation of auto manufacturing in Australia in 2016.
- Advising the syndicate of senior lenders to the Colorado Group (a clothing and footwear retail business with some 400 plus stores Australia wide) and for Ferrier Hodgson following their appointment as receivers and managers to the Group.
- Advising the syndicate of senior lenders to the Centro Property Group (including ANZ, NAB, CBA, JPMorgan, BNP Paribas and others) in relation to both the stabilisation plan implemented in January 2009, and the successful restructure of the Group via schemes of arrangement in December 2011.
- Advising the boards of Banksia Securities Limited and related group entities in relation to the receivership of two key entities in the group and the restructure of the remainder of the group to avoid insolvency.
- Advising on the Australian aspects of the global workout of FitnessFirst Group, a international health and fitness retail group, involving a debt for equity swap and rationalisation of the Group's Australian retail footprint.
- Acting for McGrathNicol as deed administrators of ION Limited (an auto parts manufacturer and energy services business), including in connection with the ongoing mass shareholder claims made following the High Court's decision in Sons of Gwalia.
- Acting for the secured lender and receivers of listed auto parts manufacturer, Autodom.
Construction and Infrastructure Disputes
Tania has represented some of the firm's key clients in major disputes involving significant financial sums and operational risk. These have included:
- Acting for BHP Billiton in multi-party Supreme Court litigation regarding the design and construction of its Minerva gas plant and pipeline project in Victoria's Otways involving claims in excess of $80 million.
- Advising Acciona in relation to a dispute concerning its Cathedral Rocks Wind Farm concerning claims against the turbine supplier.
- Advising BHP Billiton in relation to a significant dispute concerning its Port Hedland Hot Briquetted Iron facility against Austrian process designer VoestAlpine.
- Advising ANZ in its role as security trustee for the Anaconda Nickel Project and Melbourne CityLink.
Tania is a member of the Allens board. She also holds memberships with the Turnaround Management Association of Australia, the Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association and the Australian Institute of Company Directors.