Matthew specialises in restructuring and insolvency and commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
He advises financial institutions and insolvency practitioners in relation to corporate insolvencies (including receiverships, administrations, deeds of company arrangement and liquidations) and corporate restructuring and workouts. Matthew has acted for clients in some of Australia's largest corporate insolvencies, while he also frequently advises clients on the restructuring and insolvency of SMEs across a broad range of industries. Whether the matter is large or small, Matthew seeks to achieve an efficient resolution which recovers as much value as possible.
Matthew also has broad experience advising corporates and financial institutions in relation to litigation and regulatory investigations. From 2005 to 2008, Matthew worked in the litigation and dispute resolution group of an international law firm in Tokyo. In that role, Matthew acted for major Japanese corporates, foreign investment banks and hedge funds in a broad range of matters, including investigations by the Japanese FSA, Fair Trade Commission and foreign regulators.
Matthew's recent experience includes acting for the following.
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Ferrier Hodgson – as administrators of the Keeforce group of companies (transport).
- McGrathNicol – as administrators of Coalpac group of companies (coal).
- PPB Advisory – as receivers of a Victorian dairy farm (agribusiness).
- Osaka Gas – in relation to the administration of Nexus Energy Limited (oil & gas).
- Senior Lenders – on the restructuring and workout of the Elders Limited group of companies (agribusiness).
- KordaMentha – as receivers and managers of the Willmott Forests Limited group of companies (agribusiness).
- The Banksia Financial Group – on the receivership and wind down of certain group entities (financial services).
- NAB – on the administration of the Australian Financial Services Group of companies (financial services).
- ANZ – on the collapse of the Timbercorp Limited Group of companies (agribusiness / financial services).
- PwC – as receivers of the Timbercorp Orchard Trust (agribusiness / financial services).
- McGrathNicol – as receivers of the Nylex Group of companies (manufacturing).
Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution.
- Auto racing company – in litigation relating to the sale of racing licences.
- International food manufacturer – in relation to a dispute with its joint venture party over manufacturing costs.
- Plastics manufacturer – in litigation relating to outstanding payments and allegedly faulty plastic moulds.
- ANZ – in litigation relating to the collapse of Primebroker Securities Limited.
- Numerous other corporates – in relation to unfair preference claims brought by company liquidators.
Matthew is a member of the Turnaround Management Association and a member of the Law Council's Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee.
Matthew has been trained formally in Legal Project Management, most recently attending a full day LPM workshop delivered by US legal project management expert Susan Raridon Lambreth. Matthew's LPM expertise drives efficient legal and business outcomes for his clients.