About Richard Lilly
Richard takes a strategic, commercial and pragmatic approach to commercial disputes and investigations. Richard regularly acts in superior Court litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution, and assists clients with investigations (whether conducted by regulators or at the client's request in response to an incident or major commercial risk).
Richard's work includes sensitive or major internal investigations, public inquiries, major project disputes, joint venture and shareholder disputes, disputes under offtake agreements, insurance claims, regulatory disputes, competition law advice and defending class actions.
He has been recommended for construction law, litigation and alternative dispute resolution variously by the Asia Pacific Legal 500, Doyles and Best Lawyers. Richard is a member of the Construction and Infrastructure, and Competition and Consumer, committees of the Law Council of Australia.
Richard’s previous experience includes:
- ATCO Australia – acting in Supreme Court of Victoria proceedings arising out of the circumstances of a major asset acquisition.
- Atlas Iron – acting in a strategically critical Wardens Court trial against a major mining company regarding the alignment of a haul road.
- Barclay Engineering – acting in litigation with Energy Power Systems Australia regarding sound attenuation enclosures.
- BC Iron – acting in major Supreme Court proceedings against a construction and property development company in relation to its mining services contract on the Nullagine Project, and responding to security of payment applications.
- Black Oak Minerals – acting for receivers in litigation and Wardens Court applications in relation to the sale of mining tenements.
- Brickworks – defending Supreme Court proceedings brought by a contractor to Pemberton Sawmill.
- CITIC – acting in Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court proceedings concerning the Sino Iron Project.
- Coolgardie Minerals – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against a subsidiary of Bulletin Resources in relation to a mining proposal.
- Cooper Energy – acting in relation to litigation against Grup Servicii Petroliere regarding drilling work on an oil and gas project in Tunisia.
- Crown – acting in the Perth Casino Royal Commission.
- Eastern Field Developments – acting in Federal Court proceedings seeking judicial review of a decision of the Takeovers Panel.
- Ensco – advising on issues associated with a drill rig breaking its moorings on the Wheatstone Project, including acting in Supreme Court proceedings.
- FerrAus – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against a major mining company in relation to rail access.
- Forum Energy Technologies – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against an oil and gas services company.
- Griffin Power – acting in Supreme Court proceedings regarding a power supply agreement.
- Gunns – acting for the liquidators of the Gunns Group (PPB) in preference and audit claims.
- Maas Group – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against CES Mining Services regarding disputes arising from a business acquisition.
- Macarthur Minerals – acting in Supreme Court litigation against various parties in relation to a pre-emptive right to acquire mining tenements.
- Macquarie Bank – acting in litigation concerning the adequacy of a Product Disclosure Statement under the Corporations Act 2001.
- Phaeton – acting in litigation concerning alleged misappropriation of cryptocurrency.
- Quintis – defending three shareholder class actions in the Federal Court.
- Santos – acting in ADJR Act proceedings in the Federal Court challenging an environmental approval for Barossa Project.
- Sumitomo – acting in Supreme Court proceedings against the Australian Energy Market Operator in relation to a dispute under the Wholesale Electricity Market Rules, acting in Supreme Court proceedings against contractors, and acting in Supreme Court proceedings regarding a power supply contract.
- Trans Global Projects – acting in proceedings in the Federal Court to resolve a dispute over a Deed of Company Arrangement.
- Western Power – acting in litigation arising from the installation of a telecommunications network by a contractor, and acting in Supreme Court litigation concerning fraud allegations against a contractor.
- Woodside – acting in Federal Court litigation in relation to environment approvals for the Scarborough Project.