About Kate Austin
Kate specialises in commercial dispute resolution and litigation. She has acted for clients in a range of complex commercial disputes, regulatory investigations, financial services and tax litigation and contractual, insurance and professional negligence claims. She also has particular expertise in the defence of class actions.
Kate combines in-depth technical knowledge with a practical and strategic approach to the conduct of litigation. She is a leading member of the multi-disciplinary Allens Arrow team, which works to deliver time and cost savings and forensic benefits through the use of advanced legal technologies.
Kate's relevant experience includes:
- ASIC and APRA investigations – assisting clients in managing their responses to various significant regulatory investigations;
- Financial Services Royal Commission – advising a super fund in relation to the Commission;
- ANZ – acting for ANZ in a class action commenced by investors in a structured financial product;
- KPMG – acting for KPMG in relation to the litigation arising out of the collapse of Bill Express;
- Coles ACCC supplier litigation – acting for Coles in the two Federal Court unconscionable conduct cases brought by the ACCC in relation to its dealings with its suppliers;
- Great Southern – acting for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank in relation to issues arising out of the collapse of the Great Southern Group of Companies, including in one of Victoria's largest ever class action trials, as well as various individual Victorian and NSW Supreme Court actions;
- Aircargo Cartel Class Action – acting for Air France, KLM and Martinair in the Federal Court class action in which damages were sought for alleged price fixing of fuel and security surcharges on aircargo to and from Australia;
- Tax litigation – acting for ANZ in Federal Court proceedings, at first instance and on appeal, against the Commissioner of Taxation arising out of Project Wickenby; and
- Insurance disputes – acting for both insurers and insured in various disputes, including insurance claims under professional indemnity policies and industrial special risks policies.