About Joel Barrett
Joel commenced as a lawyer at Allens in 2009. He specialises in intellectual property, and acts for clients at all stages of the creative, industrial and innovative processes, including development, commercialisation, protection and enforcement.
Joel advises clients such as eBay, Redbubble, AstraZeneca, Mundipharma, Beam Suntory, Heineken, Infosys, Nichia, Westpac, Google and Alinta. His recent experience includes:
- acting in large-scale patent litigation in the Federal Court of Australia, particularly concerning the validity and infringement of pharmaceutical patents;
- negotiating and advising on sponsorship arrangements in the sports and music fields;
- advising on the Australian copyright legislative landscape and proposed reforms, particularly as they relate to new media and online content;
- advising ecommerce platforms on their intellectual property rights and obligations as online intermediaries, and acting for them in disputes with rights owners and users;
- negotiating and advising on complex transactions involving the assignment and licensing of intellectual property rights;
- clearing large-scale trade promotions, product launches and advertising campaigns;
- advising on the intellectual property aspects of significant mergers, acquisitions, restructures and investments, including conducting complex due diligence;
- advising on issues of copyright, trade mark and patent infringement, passing off and breaches of consumer protection law; and
- advising on domain name issues, including in relation to cybersquatting and the operation of the New gTLD Program.
Joel is also a member of the management committee of the Copyright Society of Australia.