Nigel practices in real estate, development and major infrastructure projects, and specialises in leading complex, first to market transactions. Nigel has extensive experience in coordinating simultaneous work streams on large multiparty transactions, and he understands the issues that arise through all stages of developments and major projects. His clients regard him as bringing a commercial and pragmatic approach to complex projects.
Nigel spent a number of years working in Japan on secondment to a leading Japanese firm, and five years working in Shanghai where he was the leader of Allens' China practice.
Transactions on which he has advised include:
- Central Barangaroo – advising Aqualand on all aspects of the successful Grocon/Aqualand/Scentre bid to develop the $2 billion final stage of the Barangaroo precinct in Sydney’s CBD into an integrated mixed-use community comprising commercial, retail, recreational, cultural and residential space, on the last of Sydney's undeveloped harbour front land.
- Western Sydney Airport – advising Sydney Airport Corporation on all aspects of the development, procurement, construction and operation of the $5 billion Badgery's Creek Airport.
- Attack Class Submarine Program – advising Naval Group on all aspects of its role in designing and delivering 12 submarines for the Commonwealth's $50 billion Future Submarine Program, Australia's largest ever defence procurement, including negotiations with the Commonwealth, the Strategic Partnering Agreement and infrastructure, asset security and procurement arrangements.
- WestConnex – advising TfNSW and RMS on risks, procurement, funding and finance strategies for the WestConnex motorway project, a complex integrated transport scheme worth $10 billion over 10 years, including widening and extension of the M4, an access link to Sydney Airport and duplication of the M5 East.
- Yuhu Group – advising Yuhu Group in connection with the acquisition of One Circular Quay, Sydney and 'The Jewel' on the Gold Coast from Wanda Group.
- Dexus Property Group – advising DEXUS Property Group on the establishment of a venture with the Korean Pension Fund, as its capital partner to co-invest in two of DEXUS' major Australian industrial property projects at Greystanes in Sydney and Laverton in Melbourne, in a transaction worth $360 million.
- Midland Health Campus – advising St John of God Healthcare on all aspects of its successful bid to design, construct and operate Western Australia's Midland Health Campus, a 370 bed integrated public/private hospital campus, including the provision of core services.
- Investec Bank (Australia) Limited – acting for Investec on its acquisition of land from the South Australian Government as part of the redevelopment of the Bowden precinct; and its development of approximately 80 apartments, comprising at least 32 'key worker' housing stock that will be rented and sold as affordable housing.
- M5 West Road Widening – advising Interlink Roads, the existing concession owner, in connection with all aspects of the NSW M5 West Widening Project.
- APLNG – advising the Export Credit Agency lenders on the $8.5 billion financing of the Australia Pacific LNG Project, at the time the largest-ever project financing in Australia.
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital PPP – advising Investec Bank Limited as investor in the Macquarie-led Bilfinger Berger/Laing O'Rourke consortium bidding for the Queensland Government's Sunshine Coast Hospital PPP Project.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec – acting for one of Canada's largest institutional investors, in the formation of its first joint venture in China, with Hong Kong-listed Shanghai Forte Land Co.
- SWRL Rail – acting for the NSW Transport Construction Authority (formerly TIDC) in connection with Stage 2 of the South West Rail Link Project.
- ALE Property Trust – acting as lead partner advising Macquarie Bank on the float of the ALE Property Trust, a dual listed structure that was at the time Insto Magazine's Innovative Deal of the Year.