About Jonathan Light
Jonathan specialises in commercial dispute resolution and litigation, with a particular emphasis on construction disputes, international & domestic arbitration and insurance & reinsurance. Jonathan has been recognised in Doyle's Guide as a 'rising star' in construction law in Australia.
Jonathan also has significant experience in the defence of shareholder class actions, and experience acting for clients as plaintiff in the pursuit of a range of commercial claims.
Whilst being based in the firm's Sydney office, Jonathan has also spent time in the firm's Singapore and Hanoi offices and has conducted a number of disputes with an Asia-Pacific focus.
Jonathan is known for his responsiveness and the efficient way in which he runs matters. Jonathan also grasps factually and technically complex matters quickly and provides pragmatic and commercial advice for the handling and resolution of disputes.
Jonathan has been formally trained in Legal Project Management.
Highlights of Jonathan's experience include:
- acting for a number of toll-road owners in Australia in disputes with and arbitration brought by contractors concerning the construction of major toll road projects.
- acting for an Australian publicly listed gold miner in various disputes with a contractor concerning defects in the construction of a processing plant;
- advising Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemical LLC, the consortium constructing the largest oil refinery in Vietnam, a US $9 billion mega-project;
- defending a publicly listed Japanese oil and gas company in an international arbitration brought by a contractor concerning delay and extension of time claims in relation to the supply of an FPSO;
- defending an Indonesian pipeline operator in an international arbitration concerning the tariff to be paid by shippers for gas transportation services;
- defending an Australian publicly listed oil exploration and production company in an international arbitration concerning a defective offshore drilling rig;
- acting for aggregators in gas price arbitrations;
- advising policy holders, including ASX listed corporations, major financial institutions and resources companies on indemnity under D&O (including investigation and securities claims cover), FIPI, Contracts Works, Warranty & Indemnity and other specialty insurance products; and
- acting for Aristocrat Leisure Ltd, Leighton Holdings Ltd, Vocation Ltd, QBE Insurance Group Ltd and Whitehaven Coal Ltd in the defence of shareholder class actions.