About Jonathan Light
Jonathan specialises in commercial dispute resolution and litigation, with a particular emphasis on construction disputes, arbitration, insurance and large general commercial disputes. Jonathan has been recognised in Doyle's Guide as a 'rising star' in construction law in Australia.
Jonathan also has significant experience in the defence of shareholder class actions, and experience acting for clients as plaintiff in the pursuit of a range of commercial claims.
Whilst being based in the firm's Sydney office, Jonathan has also spent time in the firm's Singapore and Hanoi offices and has conducted a number of disputes with an Asia-Pacific focus.
Jonathan is responsive and runs litigation efficiently. He also grasps factually and technically complex matters quickly and provides pragmatic and commercial advice for the handling and resolution of disputes.
Highlights of Jonathan's experience include:
- acting for a major national logistics property developer in a dispute with an adjoining owner concerning the development of a logistics estate;
- acting for a number of toll-road owners in Australia in disputes with and arbitration brought by contractors concerning the construction of major toll road projects;
- acting for an Australian publicly listed gold miner in various disputes with a contractor concerning defects in the construction of a processing plant;
- advising Nghi Son Refinery and Petrochemical LLC, the consortium constructing the largest oil refinery in Vietnam, a US $9 billion mega-project;
- advising Snowy Hydro on the Snowy 2.0 project;
- acting for a range of clients in the oil and gas sectors in a number of international arbitrations heard in Singapore;
- acting for aggregators in gas price arbitrations;
- acting for policy holders, including ASX listed corporations, major financial institutions and resources companies in non-contentious insurance matters, including advising on policy negotiation and drafting, as well as in large, complex and contentious insurance claims and proceedings against insurers. Jonathan has significant expertise in Directors & Officers Liability, Business Interruption, Contracts Works, Warranty & Indemnity and other specialty insurance products; and
- acting for Aristocrat Leisure Ltd, Leighton Holdings Ltd, Vocation Ltd, QBE Insurance Group Ltd and Whitehaven Coal Ltd in the defence of shareholder class actions.