About Corin Morcom
Corin is a commercial litigation specialist, advising large corporate clients and Government on complex commercial disputes. She has a particular focus on the resources, construction and infrastructure sectors. Corin is a trusted advisor, helping clients achieve commercial outcomes to complex disputes.
Corin also works with clients to navigate ESG, risk and compliance concerns, with a focus on investigations and regulatory actions. Corin also advises clients in complex insolvency disputes.
Significant matters Corin has been involved in include:
- Structural defect litigation – acting for the owners of a large, first class shopping centre in actions to recover losses arising from extensive structural and other defects. Rectification works and the claim progressed simultaneously, with Corin advising on aspects of the rectification works to maximise prospects in the litigation while ensuring the critical path was not impacted.
- Mining investigation – conducting an investigation into cost and schedule overruns on a large mining project to assist the business to navigate various disputes across multiple jurisdictions and to progress commercial discussions with stakeholders.
- Peabody Energy – defending Peabody Energy in a joint venture dispute over a claimed $1 billion loss of opportunity to make profit on a coal mine. The trial lasted 111 sitting days, with over 45 witnesses being called. After the close of evidence, the plaintiffs dropped their primary case, with the matter successfully resolved.
- BMA – defending BMA in a complex dispute under a special statutory compensation regime for a claim exceeding $150 million. The matter settled shortly before commencement of a three-month trial after BMA successfully obtained leave to plead fraud (the fraud having been discovered during trial preparation).
- Risk and compliance advisory – advising clients on a range of risk and compliance matters, including:
- fraud investigations;
- crime and corruption investigations;
- whistleblowing investigations and compliance;
- modern slavery investigations and compliance;
- sanctions compliance;
- anti-bribery and corruption compliance.
- Insolvency and restructuring matters – acting in various matters in the insolvency context, including:
- advising Court appointed receivers to the Presbyterian Church of Queensland. The matter involved the advising on complex trustee duties and novel questions of law as part of the receivers' report to the Court;
- acting for the administrators of a large mining equipment supplier;
- acting for various banks in relation to numerous large debt recoveries, AFCA complaints and debt restructurings.