About Nikki O'Leary
Nikki is an expert in advising clients on major projects, infrastructure and resources disputes in Australia, Asia and PNG.
During over 12 years with Allens, Nikki has assisted in the resolution of numerous construction, resources, infrastructure and engineering disputes involving litigation, negotiation, arbitration and all types of alternative dispute resolution. Nikki is an expert in respect to unsafe building products, including flammable cladding and has assisted a number of clients in responding to regulatory requirements and mitigating the risks arising from unsafe building products.
Nikki's clients include Rio, BHP, Redpath Mining, APA Group, Transurban, Acciona, Ferrovial, Charter Hall, Stockland and GPT.
Nikki's recent experience includes:
- Mining disputes – advising mining principals in respect to disputes with contractors relating to new mine developments and the refurbishment and expansion of mine sites, in South Australia and Queensland. These disputes included analysing significant claims for extensions of time and variations and claiming against insurers in respect to defective design works.
- LNG disputes – advising the project operator in respect to a $34 billion LNG Project. This included disputes over relating to the construction of the onshore and offshore facilities and responding to high value claims from the contractor under the security for payment legislation.
- Coal export terminal dispute – advising the principal in respect to claims in excess of $80 million, including complex extension of time and disruption claims, made by the contractor for the construction of a coal export facility in Queensland.
- Gas pipeline dispute – advising on claims for defective works in pipeline assets for a LNG facility, including acting in proceedings relating to the calling on significant value performance bonds.
- Infrastructure disputes – extensive experience acting on some of Australia's largest infrastructure projects, including projects both delivered under design and construct and PPP models.
- Government disputes – acting for State Departments and Government Owned Corporations in respect to disputes with contractors relating to dam infrastructure works and road infrastructure.
- Construction insurance claims – advising on a number of high value construction related insurance claims for defective design works at desalination plants and mine developments. This included claims against insurers in excess of $280 million.
- Security of payment adjudications – extensive experience in acting on significant value security of payment claims in NSW, QLD, NT and WA. Nikki has successfully defended a number of security of payment claims in excess of $100 million.
- Property development disputes – Nikki acts regularly for large property funds and property developers in respect to office tower developments, shopping centre developments, logistic park developments and high rise residential towers.
Nikki has been formally trained in Legal Project Management and focuses on providing efficient and commercial, legal solutions for her clients.
If you would like to hear Nikki's views on the infrastructure industry, watch her in our Propelling city growth video.