About Simon Sherwood
Simon is an experienced litigator with an extensive background in complex regulatory investigations and disputes. He advises and acts for clients in relation to corporations law, financial services law and AML laws. Simon draws on his past experience advising Commonwealth agencies to assist clients to navigate complex regulatory investigations and resulting disputes with multiple investigating agencies, including ASIC, AUSTRAC, APRA, Parliamentary Inquiries and Royal Commissions.
Simon's recent experience includes:
- Acting for Westpac in the civil penalty proceedings commenced by the CEO of AUSTRAC, the successful resolution of the matter and Westpac's associated financial crime uplift projects
- Acting for Crown Resorts Limited and its subsidiaries in a range of matters including the response to the NSW Casino Control Act Inquiry report, the Victorian and Western Australian Royal Commissions and an enforcement investigation by AUSTRAC
- Advising overseas-based financial services companies in relation to a fraud investigation and related proceedings
- Acting for Allianz Australia in civil penalty proceedings commenced by ASIC in relation to travel insurance products
- Acting for a major Australian bank in connection with an inquiry commenced under the Royal Commissions Act 1923 (NSW)
- Conducting internal investigations in the financial sector in relation to allegations of fraud, market manipulation and other misconduct
- Designing, implementing and reviewing compliance and risk management frameworks
Prior to joining Allens, Simon regularly advised key Commonwealth regulators, including ASIC and the ACCC, on complex investigations and disputes. This includes a number of high profile matters involving large financial services companies. Simon was also the co-leader of the team of Solicitors Assisting the Financial Services Royal Commission, and has previously been a Team Leader of the Solicitors Assisting the Child Abuse Royal Commission. Simon has also acted for the Commonwealth in relation to World Trade Organisation and Investor/State disputes. In addition to his substantial experience with regulatory investigations and disputes, Simon also brings a deep understanding of working with government.