About Simon Sherwood
Simon is an experienced litigator with an extensive background in complex regulatory investigations and disputes. Simon advises and acts for clients in relation to corporations law, financial services law and AML laws. Simon draws on his past experience advising Commonwealth agencies to assist clients to navigate complex regulatory investigations with multiple investigating agencies, including ASIC, AUSTRAC, APRA, Parliamentary Inquiries and Royal Commissions.
Prior to joining Allens, Simon regularly advised key Commonwealth regulators, including ASIC and the ACCC, on complex investigations and disputes. This includes a number of high profile matters involving large financial services companies. Simon was also the co-leader of the team of Solicitors Assisting the Financial Services Royal Commission, and has previously been a Team Leader of the Solicitors Assisting the Child Abuse Royal Commission. Simon has also acted for the Commonwealth in relation to World Trade Organisation and Investor/State disputes. In addition to his substantial experience with regulatory investigations and disputes, Simon also brings a deep understanding of working with government.
Simon's relevant experience includes:
- Acting for a major Australian bank in relation to proceedings brought by AUSTRAC for breaches of the AML/CTF Act
- Advising overseas-based financial services companies in relation to a fraud investigation and related proceedings
- Acting for ASIC in relation to investigations of financial services entities for possible breaches of the Corporations Act, ASIC Act and the National Consumer Credit Protection Act.
- Acting for ASIC in relation to Federal Court proceedings for alleged market manipulation.
- Acting for the ACCC in relation to investigations and proceedings for breaches of the Competition and Consumer Act.
- Extensive Royal Commissions experience, including co-leader of the team of Solicitors Assisting the Financial Services Royal Commission
- Acting for various Commonwealth agencies in World Trade Organisation and Investor/State disputes concerning challenges to Australian legislation.