Allens Corporate Governance team draws on years of practical experience in advising companies, boards and individual directors in a variety of situations, including the following:
We have advised directors:
- whose companies are subject to takeover;
- with conflicts of interest;
- of joint venture companies on balancing their duties to the company and the interests of their appointing shareholder/s;
- with painful decisions to make concerning the need to publicly announce bad news;
- whose companies are experiencing difficult relations with a regulator;
- whose companies are addressing their corporate governance credibility; and
- who must weigh the benefits of deals to salvage shareholder value, and insolvency.
Corporate Governance reviews
We have been chosen to provide corporate governance reviews of major Australian corporate groups, government departments and agencies, and small technology companies and to give guidance on developing more effective boards and better relations with investors and stakeholders.
We provide indemnity advice and documents with a strong focus on creating indemnities that are likely to be enforceable.
Remuneration and retirement benefits
We used our knowledge of directors' duties and entitlements, securities issues associated with share and option plans and tax expertise to provide the answers for many directors and companies on remuneration packages and retirement benefits.
Disclosure and reporting
We can give guidance on and assist with the preparation of annual and half-yearly financial reporting requirements, directors' reports (including remuneration reports), continuous disclosure requirements and procedures, investor / ASX disclosures and ASX liaison, shareholder meeting advice (including notices of meetings) regulatory requirements for resolutions, meeting procedures generally and facilitating ASX approval of meeting documentation.
We don't just rely on Australian experience. We track key developments in other markets, such as the US, Europe and Asia, to anticipate developments and be ready with solutions.
Other teams at your disposal
The Allens Corporate Governance team works with other specialised teams within our firm. We may involve Mergers & Acquisitions, Insurance (to cover director and officer liability issues), taxation, Insolvency or Litigation lawyers, depending on the issue at hand. Each team is at the forefront of its field. The result for our clients is the benefit of in-depth legal expertise covering each problem, fully.