With emphasis on quality, innovation and timeliness, we deliver highly successful outcomes in mergers and acquisitions for leading companies in Australia and around the world.
Independent surveys consistently recognise our lawyers as the best M&A advisers in Australia and the Asia region. Chambers Asia 2014 acknowledges that the Allens M&A team 'has the bench strength to handle the largest and most complicated transactions'
Allens is also consistently ranked as a leading firm by league tables. In 2013, mergermarket league table ranked Allens 1st (mergermarket Legal advisers to Australasian M&A, announced deal count).
Allens has advised on many of Australia's largest M&A transactions in recent years, demonstrating our team's strength as one of the leading corporate practices in Australia. We are pleased to have played a crucial role in the largest and most complex deals in Australia's corporate history, including:
- QIC's A$7.1 billion sale of Queensland Motorways to a consortium;
- News Corporation on the separation of its media and entertainment business and its publishing business;
- Foster's Group's response to the takeover by SABMiller for A$12.3 billion;
- Wesfarmers' A$20 billion acquisition of Coles;
- Newcrest Mining's A$9.5 billion merger with Lihir Gold;
- Rio Tinto's response to BHP's US$192 billion takeover offer;
- St.George Bank's A$67 billion merger with Westpac Banking Corporation; and
- ConocoPhillips' A$9 billion joint venture with Origin Energy.
Cross-border M&A is a particular specialisation, involving the co-ordination of large teams across different jurisdictions, regularly working with local counsel. The team also regularly advises private equity clients.
Our strong and enduring relationships with leading financial advisers and regulators, including the Australian Securities & Investments Commission, the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission, the Takeovers Panel and the Australian Securities Exchange, enable us to play an effective part in any advisory team.