About Jessica Choong
Jessica is a Partner in the Corporate practice group in Melbourne.
She is a highly experienced corporate lawyer, specialising in mergers and acquisitions. Her practice is focused on advising institutional investor clients (fund managers, superannuation funds and sovereign wealth funds), including on competitive sales processes and privatisations, and in the infrastructure sector. She has advised across a range of high-profile and cross-border transactions, and is also experienced in corporate advisory and corporate governance matters for financial sponsors and ASX-listed entities.
Jessica also spent three years on secondment in Singapore, where she worked closely with a range of Australian and foreign clients on their inbound and outbound investments across the Asia-Pacific region.
Her transactional experience includes advising:
- ANZ – on the simplification of its Wealth Australia business, including the sale of its life insurance business for $2.85 billion.
- Rest – on its acquisition of a one-third stake in Sydney's Quay Quarter Tower redevelopment for approximately $900 million.
- Hostplus, Rest and other investors – on their investment in Campus Living Villages.
- First State Super – on its acquisition of a 90% interest in Lendlease Public Infrastructure Investment, which holds a 50% interest in the New Bendigo Hospital, Sunshine Coast University Hospital and Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainmet Precinct PPP projects.
- JANA Investment Advisers – on the management buy-out of a 55% majority stake in the JANA asset management business from NAB.
- NSW Land and Property Information – advising the financiers of a consortium bidder for the NSW LPI privatisation.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board – on its A$3.4 billion take-private of Intoll Group, its A$7.5 billion take-private of Macquarie Communications Infrastructure Group and its proposed take-private of Transurban Group.
- Standard Chartered Private Equity – on its acquisitions and divestments of a number of Asia-Pacific and international investments.
- OSK Holdings Berhad – on its joint venture with Employees Provident Fund Board of Malaysia for the development of the Melbourne Square project in Southbank, Victoria.
- OpenSpace Ventures – on its investment in an Australia/Singapore-headquartered technology company.
- Flight Centre Limited – on its joint venture with Thien Minh Group for its destination management services businesses in South-East Asia.
- Automotive Brands Group – on the sale of the business to Metcash Limited, subsequent bolt-on acquisitions and subsequent sale of the business to Burson Group.
- TABCORP – on the demerger and listing of Echo Entertainment Group Limited from its wagering, gaming and keno businesses.
- CSL – on the corporate restructuring of Australian operations into standalone business units for plasma and vaccines/pharmaceuticals.
- Amcor Limited – on its A$1.6 billion entitlement offer to fund the acquisition of certain Alcan packaging assets from Rio Tinto.
Jessica is also a guest lecturer at Melbourne University Law School (Juris Doctor program) and is a member of the 'Gen A' young leaders platform of the Asia Society Australia.