About Christopher Kerrigan
Chris specialises in managing the most reputationally significant corporate criminal and regulatory enforcement matters for domestic and global corporations across a range of sectors, with related experience in crisis management and risk and compliance remediation projects.
Recent experience includes:
- acting for Westpac in the civil penalty proceedings commenced by the CEO of AUSTRAC, the successful resolution of the matter and Westpac's associated financial crime uplift projects;
- acting for Pershing Securities Australia Limited in a criminal prosecution by ASIC and the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions for client money obligation breaches;
- acting for Crown Resorts Limited and its subsidiaries in a range of matters including the response to the NSW Casino Control Act Inquiry report, the Victorian and Western Australian Royal Commissions and an enforcement investigation by AUSTRAC;
- advising a major Australian bank in connection with an investigation into corruption in an overseas subsidiary, involving self-reporting to the AFP, ASIC and equivalent foreign subsidiaries;
- advising a financial institution on its self-assessment into governance, culture and accountability produced to APRA;
- advising an Australian ASX100 listed mining company on investigations commenced by the UK Serious Fraud Office and the Sierra Leonean Anti-corruption authority. The investigation has involved dealing with the AFP and ASIC;
- conducting numerous other internal investigations in the mining, energy and financial sectors into allegations of fraud, market manipulation and insider trading and liaising with various regulators in relation to the same;
- acting for former directors and officers on investigations commenced by ASIC into suspected breaches of directors and officers;
- advising a range of clients, including major Australian and international banks and financial institutions on AML laws and other areas of financial crime, modern slavey, human rights laws and whistleblowing; and
- designing, implementing and reviewing compliance and risk management frameworks.
Chris has worked in London, Russia and Australia and is familiar working with a number of jurisdictions on cross-border investigations, including the US, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, Indonesia and PNG. He has worked in private practice and at the UK Serious Fraud Office, investigating alleged bribery within multinational companies.